Lmaosophia
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I'm in year 13 I honeslty, don't know whats going on with my life. I want to do a degree where i'll enjoy, it but also leads to a stable career. i've always been interested in dentistry but I don't do any science or maths alevels, so I can't go into dentistry does anyone know if there is an alternatives to go into dentisry - like as an assistent or nurse and what would the qualifications be
and are there any foundations degree fo dentistry and it rerquiremnts and if there are, will I have to take a gap year?

thank you for your time to read and answer my dilema
Carmelvw99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi, I’m currently a Dental nurse, I studied a level 3 diploma (an apprenticeship) in Dental nursing. Sadly if you have not done A level maths or science then no there isn’t any other way into Dentistry. If you want to become a dentist I suggest redoing your A levels in science subjects and or maths. Dentistry is extremely competitive and hard to get into, they don’t like A level resits (most unis will not accept you). The only other alternative is to complete a Bsc in Dental technology or Bsc in Dental hygiene therapy (both take 3 years) and you need to either be a qualified Nurse or have 3 A levels including Biology to get into either of these courses. Then once u have completed that u can convert it into a Bsc Dental Surgery which will take a further (4 years to complete on top of the 3 year degree u have previously done). Like I said dentistry is extremely hard to get into. I would look at an alternative or speak to a careers advisor. Good luck
ArtmisKco
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
How about a foundation year in Manchester uni

(Original post by Carmelvw99)
Hi, I’m currently a Dental nurse, I studied a level 3 diploma (an apprenticeship) in Dental nursing. Sadly if you have not done A level maths or science then no there isn’t any other way into Dentistry. If you want to become a dentist I suggest redoing your A levels in science subjects and or maths. Dentistry is extremely competitive and hard to get into, they don’t like A level resits (most unis will not accept you). The only other alternative is to complete a Bsc in Dental technology or Bsc in Dental hygiene therapy (both take 3 years) and you need to either be a qualified Nurse or have 3 A levels including Biology to get into either of these courses. Then once u have completed that u can convert it into a Bsc Dental Surgery which will take a further (4 years to complete on top of the 3 year degree u have previously done). Like I said dentistry is extremely hard to get into. I would look at an alternative or speak to a careers advisor. Good luck
How about a foundation year in Manchester uni?
Carmelvw99
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ArtmisKco)
How about a foundation year in Manchester uni

How about a foundation year in Manchester uni?
If they accept none science related A levels then possibly yeah why not? But I know many people who have applied and struggle to get in, it’s an extremely competitive course dentistry! If it was me I’d redo my A levels for science subjects, if u didn’t already choose science subjects for A level then why do u suddenly wanna do them now?
ArtmisKco
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
If they accept none science related A levels then possibly yeah why not? But I know many people who have applied and struggle to get in, it’s an extremely competitive course dentistry! If it was me I’d redo my A levels for science subjects, if u didn’t already choose science subjects for A level then why do u suddenly wanna do them now?
Yes I agree. Dentistry is very very very competitive and people that don’t get into the normal course will try to do a foundation but it’s better to test your luck. If it doesn’t go well then alevels are your best bet. A question Carmelvw. I’m doing bio chem geo alevel currently. Later on I can apply for the foundation year in physics for Manchester uni but I was wondering how competitive is the physics foundation (to your extent of knowledge)?
Rainb11
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Instead of re doing your a levels or having to choose a different career path, could you not go to college and do either an apprenticeship in dentistry or some kind of college course and then go to uni after.
Lmaosophia
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
hi thank you for your answer, could you elaborate more on the apprenticeship you are doing, like what are the requirements and jop aspects .
Carmelvw99
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ArtmisKco)
Yes I agree. Dentistry is very very very competitive and people that don’t get into the normal course will try to do a foundation but it’s better to test your luck. If it doesn’t go well then alevels are your best bet. A question Carmelvw. I’m doing bio chem geo alevel currently. Later on I can apply for the foundation year in physics for Manchester uni but I was wondering how competitive is the physics foundation (to your extent of knowledge)?
Personally I’m afraid I wouldn’t know, not really in my field of knowledge sorry
Carmelvw99
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lmaosophia)
hi thank you for your answer, could you elaborate more on the apprenticeship you are doing, like what are the requirements and jop aspects .
I’m not doing an apprenticeship. I completed my apprenticeship around 3 years ago in Dental Nursing. It was 18 months (2 school years) at college. I needed 5 GCSEs at A*-C and I loved it. Best thing I ever did becoming a dental nurse! I wanted to go into the world of dentistry but wasn’t ready for A levels. I have been dental nursing nearly 5 years in total now. I have done many post qualifications including becoming a dental radiographer and an oral health educator. I am on a great salary for a 21 year old. I have now decided to go and study a Bsc in Dental technology as I love art and want to use my dentistry knowledge. Currently doing an access course at night school in Biology, Psychology and Public health in order to gain entry requirements for university. Doing an apprenticeship first meant that I learnt so much about dentistry and have my foot in the door, I know many dental professionals around the UK now. Also I managed to save a lot of money for university and learnt to drive and buy my own car before hand which a lot of uni students couldn’t imagine having. For me it was a fantastic decision and I wouldn’t change it for the world
Suniya.m05
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, I’m looking to take the same qualification and was just wondering if you could give me some advice! How was your experience overall? And also, does the apprenticeship (Level 3) count for 2 A Levels? Thanks so much xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.86%
No (500)
66.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed