The Student Room Group

Best law unis in London

I'm thinking of applying to LSE, KCL, QMUL, SOAS, CITY.
Are these good choices? Considering my LNAT is tomorrow and haven't done much prep. With AS grades B and C and predicted A* A* B (working on changing it to A)?
But I have done loads of super curricular on law with work experience at top law firms and pathways to law at LSE.

Scroll to see replies

LSE is an excellent law school but very competitive (I was rejected with pretty great grades because of my personal statement, which they expect to be really polished). I got AAB at AS and 10 A*s and an A at GCSE.
I didn't apply to any LNAT universities so I never took it, but I'm at QMUL and I really wish I'd done my LNAT and applied to Kings. QMUL, I'd say, isn't on the level of LSE and KCL.
SOAS and City are non-Russell Group and are not considered to be top Universities, but if you do end up there and like the campus and get excellent grades, there are definitely still places at top firms available once you graduate - but you may have to work a little harder with super curriculars to stand out :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by hollyoliviaxx
LSE is an excellent law school but very competitive (I was rejected with pretty great grades because of my personal statement, which they expect to be really polished). I got AAB at AS and 10 A*s and an A at GCSE.
I didn't apply to any LNAT universities so I never took it, but I'm at QMUL and I really wish I'd done my LNAT and applied to Kings. QMUL, I'd say, isn't on the level of LSE and KCL.
SOAS and City are non-Russell Group and are not considered to be top Universities, but if you do end up there and like the campus and get excellent grades, there are definitely still places at top firms available once you graduate - but you may have to work a little harder with super curriculars to stand out :smile:

Good luck!

thanks a lot for your response! and wow your grades are amazing!!! I didn't do as great as you at GCSE, in fact, I even have a 3 (fail) in French but I think it's rly unfair that we are also being judged on things we did b4 sixth form. tbh I didn't even think GCSEs were that important or what I wanted to do in the future. On top of that, I definitely won't do well in the Lnat so I think I've given up on LSE and Kings but still applying there hoping for the best.

But can you please tell me more about qmul? I like the uni itself but I don't like the area and also have become too attached to LSE and Kings. Are there any other top unis you recommend in London?

Thanks!
Original post by Zahra_2001
thanks a lot for your response! and wow your grades are amazing!!! I didn't do as great as you at GCSE, in fact, I even have a 3 (fail) in French but I think it's rly unfair that we are also being judged on things we did b4 sixth form. tbh I didn't even think GCSEs were that important or what I wanted to do in the future. On top of that, I definitely won't do well in the Lnat so I think I've given up on LSE and Kings but still applying there hoping for the best.

But can you please tell me more about qmul? I like the uni itself but I don't like the area and also have become too attached to LSE and Kings. Are there any other top unis you recommend in London?

Thanks!

just putting this out there Kings don't really care for your GCSE, I know this because I called them worrying about my 4 in Maths and they said they don't look at GCSE which was a relief.

LSE are so stush in my opinion all the other unis I'm thinking about are okay with Film Studies as an Alevel but LSE aren't smh. They do care for your GCSEs.

Yeah UCL are considered top uni for Law. I wanna go but according to their system a 4 is a fail and a 5 and above is pass, and they require a 6 in both maths and English if I'm not mistaken and also a language GCSE but if you don't have one then but get accepted you HAVE to signed up to a language course at UCL.
I called them as well about my 4 in maths and they lady said if they are strong candidate they probably won't turn you down but it is at the departments discretion to that. She explained "strong" by having a good personal statement, LNAT score and A-levels stuff like that. They also require the LNAT

Hope this helps.
I'm thinking of applying to LSE, KCL, QMUL, SOAS, CITY.
Are these good choices? Considering my LNAT is tomorrow and haven't done much prep. With AS grades B and C and predicted A* A* B (working on changing it to A)?
But I have done loads of super curricular on law with work experience at top law firms and pathways to law at LSE.

I don't think you would be very likely to get offers from LSE/KCL without the Pathway to Law, but maybe that makes a difference to your chances of getting an offer - not sure. If you can get the B changed to an A that would make your chances a lot higher assuming you do well in the LNAT, so Good Luck today.

Are they good choices? Yes, if you are restricted to London.
Reply 5
Original post by xlizzy
just putting this out there Kings don't really care for your GCSE, I know this because I called them worrying about my 4 in Maths and they said they don't look at GCSE which was a relief.

LSE are so stush in my opinion all the other unis I'm thinking about are okay with Film Studies as an Alevel but LSE aren't smh. They do care for your GCSEs.

Yeah UCL are considered top uni for Law. I wanna go but according to their system a 4 is a fail and a 5 and above is pass, and they require a 6 in both maths and English if I'm not mistaken and also a language GCSE but if you don't have one then but get accepted you HAVE to signed up to a language course at UCL.
I called them as well about my 4 in maths and they lady said if they are strong candidate they probably won't turn you down but it is at the departments discretion to that. She explained "strong" by having a good personal statement, LNAT score and A-levels stuff like that. They also require the LNAT

Hope this helps.

I have an A* in Arabic GCSE so I do have a language grade which I guess will be fine for UCL but for some reason, it feels like its harder to get into UCL than Kings so applying to Kings instead.
I'm working on predicted and good personal statements- also I feel good about my references and experiences so I hope I get in through these.

Thanks for the info

Work experience for Law applications don't actually matter too much, so I doubt that'd be a huge factor. Nice to have but definitely not required or even expected.
Reply 7
yes I agree but my history teacher has been very unfair but at least she gave me a chance for as soon as I get back to skl after half term I'll sit a test and if I get an A she'll predict me an A- and I feel like I'll be able to do so. But it just means a slightly later application (is that fine?)
Reply 8
Original post by harrysbar
I don't think you would be very likely to get offers from LSE/KCL without the Pathway to Law, but maybe that makes a difference to your chances of getting an offer - not sure. If you can get the B changed to an A that would make your chances a lot higher assuming you do well in the LNAT, so Good Luck today.

Are they good choices? Yes, if you are restricted to London.

Yes, thank you so much for the encouragement but man am I going to regret this LNAT T_T
Reply 9
Might also be worthwhile looking at this if yoy want a career as a solicitor after a law degree

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities-2019
Yes, thank you so much for the encouragement but man am I going to regret this LNAT T_T

May I ask why you want to stay in London so bad?

I live in London as well, and I am applying for Law this year to UCL, LSE, and KCL since they are good Law schools, but there are also unis such as Leeds, Bristol, Durham, Warwick, Exeter, Nottingham, and Manchester that are very good outside of London and should be looked at along with stuff I’m forgetting for sure. On top of this, all of those except for Bristol, Durham, and Notts don’t use the LNAT and would like your extra curriculars perhaps.

I wouldn’t mind staying at home, but SOAS and City aren’t the best for someone with your predicted grades if you get history up to an A.

Am I right in assuming your parent’s don’t want you to leave home?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Rover5
Might also be worthwhile looking at this if yoy want a career as a solicitor after a law degree

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities-2019

Thanks
Original post by my_man_123
May I ask why you want to stay in London so bad?

I live in London as well, and I am applying for Law this year to UCL, LSE, and KCL since they are good Law schools, but there are also unis such as Leeds, Bristol, Durham, Warwick, Exeter, Nottingham, and Manchester that are very good outside of London and should be looked at along with stuff I’m forgetting for sure. On top of this, all of those except for Bristol, Durham, and Notts don’t use the LNAT and would like your extra curriculars perhaps.

I wouldn’t mind staying at home, but SOAS and City aren’t the best for someone with your predicted grades if you get history up to an A.

Am I right in assuming your parent’s don’t want you to leave home?

Yh it's both parents and me. I don't think I'm prepared to live alone and I just like the city and as u k there are many law firms here in London so more opportunities. But I guess it is also mainly parents as if I was allowed I would've applied to one good non London uni
I think it shows the statistics of which university students end up at a law firm
like if you want better employment go to the uni that has better employability.
I'm not fully sure since I didn't read it all but from what I can tell it is a survey that was done with law trainees and seeing which unis they were at and which law firms they are in now
Reply 16
Original post by hollyoliviaxx

Good luck!

Wow well done with your grades.love your work ethic
Reply 17

Thanks!

I would definitely recommend Goldsmiths for LLB Law!
Original post by Shafafq
I would definitely recommend Goldsmiths for LLB Law!

But from what I know Goldsmiths just recently introduced the course and they are more of an IT university. But thanks for your suggestion :smile:
Reply 19
It shows where the top employers in London and the Regions are mainly recruiting from for trainee solicitors. Therefore it stands to reason if you are not sure which uni to choose and you want a career path as a solicitor the choice of uni may be influenced by who is likely to employ you, especially if you can't choose between 2 and one is much more likely to lead to a training contract and therefore lead to qualification, especially when TCs are few and far between.

Quick Reply

Latest