Favourite Film Recommendations Watch

flecalicious
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
What is your absolute favourite film in the entire world? And why should I watch it? (You can only choose one! ). I'm looking to expand my film knowledge and was hoping you lovely people could help me out...

Go as obscure or mainstream as you like - I've got my university's film collection to peruse when I get back!

I'll get the ball rolling...

Pride and Prejudice (2005)
The first film I ever wanted to have on DVD as soon as I came out of the cinema. It was a special occasion anyway as it's the only time I've been to the cinema with my nan and my mum together (three generations of women wanting to get with Mr. Darcy!), but I think I fell in love with it from the minute the sun came up in that first scene.

a few reasons why it should be watched...
  • Beautiful cinematography! The use of tracking shots to introduce the characters and locations is brilliant, and the framing of certain scenes just makes me happy
  • Use of colours! Thinking about the film brings lots of earthy colours to mind - vivd green and brown especially - and a LOT of blue. The colouring in both proposal scenes is fantastic
  • The characters! I especially loved the twist of having Mr. Darcy as being so terse through shyness, rather than just being a bit of moody *******... not to everyone's taste, but it certainly did a lot for me as far as his character was concerned. I also loved Keira Knightley as Lizzie - she really took the fiestiness of the character and made it just the right amount of admirable. Plus, I'd recommend looking out for Lydia - so deliciously annoying!

I will say that if you're an absolute stickler for historical accuracy, then it may not be quite the right film for you. It's certainly very rooted in showing Lizzie and her family in a more earthy and realistic light - you'll find no heaving bosoms here - but both the proposal scenes probably throw historical accuracy out of the window. However, I think they're some of the best moments in the film (the first one especially), so it just depends on your priorites, I guess
neon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The Warriors (1979)
  • it's awesome
flecalicious
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Going on the list
sarCAZm
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Clockwork orange.
Its fantastic.
blackdragonthegreat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Every film I have seen has been absolutely awful.
neon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sarCAZm)
Clockwork orange.
Its fantastic.
*A Clockwork Orange
theredwindmill
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Trainspotting i love that film even though at some parts it can be a little off putting but other than that i loved it
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Blood Diamond.

A big budget hollywood blockbuster with real character drama and some phenomenal set pieces.
Bateman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The bourne trilogy.
Great script, great director, great actor
Indecision
Report 10 years ago
Arghh there are so many I love...i'd probably go for Pirates of the Caribbean (the first one's the funniest I think) if you haven't already seen it basically cause it's one of the funniest films i've seen...and I love Jonny Depp!
xxxx
Kater Murr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can't really choose one, but I would highly recommend...

The King of Comedy (1981)
dr. Martin Scorcese.

• It's perfectly cast, and I don't say that about many films.
  • The dialogue is witty and amusing.
  • Visually fitting of the atmosphere - busy New York, Pupkin looking slightly out of fashion, and over-dressed, bright colours... it's subtely eccentric.
  • It's so awkward; you feel embarrassed watching it.
  • A fantastic, original plot.

I wouldn't change a thing.
AsphyxiateD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You probably will have seen most of my favourite films, so I'll go with one you may not have seen:

The Score
- Incredible cast: Robert De Niro, Edward Norton and Marlon Brando.
- Quite an innovative thriller if I do say so myself, kept me on edge.
- Great acting and chemistry between the actors, believable story.
- Just overall well done.

(Original post by theredwindmill)
Trainspotting i love that film even though at some parts it can be a little off putting but other than that i loved it
Off-topic: I used to go your college in fact I was there on Tuesday as part of "What is university like?" forum. I was in room C8 doing a "talk" on Film & TV lol.
Mastermind`
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Face/Off (1997)
John Woo (Greatest Action Movie Director in the World)

• Nicolas Cage/John Travolta/Gina Gershon - that's enough to make you watch it. Extraordinary performances from Cage and Travolta.
  • Fast and furious action scenes
  • Flawless script
  • Original plot, perhaps a bit "over the top".
  • It's my favourite film :rolleyes:
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I didn't like the 2005 Pride and Prejudice. Not a patch on the 1995 BBC mini-series, imo.

Colin Firth > Matthew MacFayden
Jennifer Ehle >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Keira Knightley

My favourite film? It's quite difficult to narrow it down, but I think it must go to the Lord of the Rings trilogy (do trilogies count? :p: ). I also love the Back to the Future trilogy, as well as Ghibli anime (particularly Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa and Totoro).
dhokes
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
-Leon
-Dog Day Afternoon
OllyThePhilosopher
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Pulp Fiction.
theredwindmill
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AsphyxiateD)
Off-topic: I used to go your college in fact I was there on Tuesday as part of "What is university like?" forum. I was in room C8 doing a "talk" on Film & TV lol.
ooo i went to the politics one, there was only 3 of us there i don't think many went. I think one of the film teachers are leaving this year phil i think.

EDIT: oh my days i was going to go to C8 to talk to the person who went to Aberystwyth because i want to go there for uni, but i didn't have time
7UP
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by flecalicious)
What is your absolute favourite film in the entire world? And why should I watch it? (You can only choose one! ). I'm looking to expand my film knowledge and was hoping you lovely people could help me out...

Go as obscure or mainstream as you like - I've got my university's film collection to peruse when I get back!

I'll get the ball rolling...

Pride and Prejudice (2005)
The first film I ever wanted to have on DVD as soon as I came out of the cinema. It was a special occasion anyway as it's the only time I've been to the cinema with my nan and my mum together (three generations of women wanting to get with Mr. Darcy!), but I think I fell in love with it from the minute the sun came up in that first scene.

a few reasons why it should be watched...
  • Beautiful cinematography! The use of tracking shots to introduce the characters and locations is brilliant, and the framing of certain scenes just makes me happy
  • Use of colours! Thinking about the film brings lots of earthy colours to mind - vivd green and brown especially - and a LOT of blue. The colouring in both proposal scenes is fantastic
  • The characters! I especially loved the twist of having Mr. Darcy as being so terse through shyness, rather than just being a bit of moody *******... not to everyone's taste, but it certainly did a lot for me as far as his character was concerned. I also loved Keira Knightley as Lizzie - she really took the fiestiness of the character and made it just the right amount of admirable. Plus, I'd recommend looking out for Lydia - so deliciously annoying!

I will say that if you're an absolute stickler for historical accuracy, then it may not be quite the right film for you. It's certainly very rooted in showing Lizzie and her family in a more earthy and realistic light - you'll find no heaving bosoms here - but both the proposal scenes probably throw historical accuracy out of the window. However, I think they're some of the best moments in the film (the first one especially), so it just depends on your priorites, I guess
Quite a lot of that film was filmed at Chatsworth House in Derbyshire. I worked there at the time, and got to meet the cast, and regularly saw Keira Knightly at the gym!

Must say, I hated the film though...

My favourite film of all time is Shaun Of The Dead, its brilliant. Its between that or Anchorman.
Indecision
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Excalibur)
I didn't like the 2005 Pride and Prejudice. Not a patch on the 1995 BBC mini-series, imo.

Colin Firth > Matthew MacFayden
Jennifer Ehle >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Keira Knightley
Roger that, although I did like Mr Collins in the '05 version!
xxxx
Youngs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sarCAZm)
Clockwork orange.
Its fantastic.

You'll probably like 'If...' as well if you haven't already seen it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.37%
No - but I will (17)
5.4%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.35%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (154)
48.89%

Watched Threads