Living situation - what would you do Watch

emilylougrace
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Context: I gave my live-in landlord a heads up that I was looking for somewhere to move in with a friend. This was not formal notice, just letting them know as a courtesy. Landlord has given me 4 weeks notice and has found someone else for the room as a result (couldnt risk empty room over xmas) Deposit already accepted.

I have uni in 2 weeks and have to move out the 25th of November. My current plan is. 1. Move my stuff out to a mates, asap. 2. Not pay rent for next month, tell my landlord to use the deposit. 3. If I haven't found somewhere before uni, keep looking and arrange viewings via skype.

The deposit is less than the months rent and offsets the time I've spent out of the flat. It's a really dirty thing to do though. Just curious to know if anyone else has any advice.

Thanks.

More info: we both share the same place of work. Although she's probably going to hand her notice in soon. She's been on sick leave for so long she's no longer getting paid. Hence, why she's desperate for the room to rented.

She's not officially the landlord, she's subletting - actual landlord doesn't care
Vexper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Literally never tell your landlord you are moving out... or even hint at it unless you ARE moving out and know where you are going. You're just shooting yourself in the foot. The only thing they care about you for is a source of income.
DiddyDecAlt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you have any kind of written agreement for the deposit or rent monies?
emilylougrace
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
Do you have any kind of written agreement for the deposit or rent monies?
No written contract, only verbal agreement of 4 weeks notice. But evidence of this written in Whatsapp messages.
DiddyDecAlt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by emilylougrace)
No written contract, only verbal agreement of 4 weeks notice. But evidence of this written in Whatsapp messages.
Pay the difference of the deposit to make up a full months rent otherwise you are still liable for the monies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (41)
21.13%
Labour (93)
47.94%
Liberal Democrats (22)
11.34%
Green Party (15)
7.73%
Brexit Party (1)
0.52%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
1.55%
SNP (5)
2.58%
Plaid Cymru (1)
0.52%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (3)
1.55%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)
0%
UKIP (4)
2.06%
Other (0)
0%
None (6)
3.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise