i'm struggling at university Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I haven't made any friends and it has been bothering me. I've tried my best speaking to people, but even when we get along and exchange contacts, the next time I see them they seem uninterested. This has happened so many times, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've joined societies and made friends, but they seem to be part of the 'popular crowd' and I don't fit in. I've joined sports clubs but I also seem to be excluded.

I do have social anxiety which explains why I'm bad with making friends but I don't know what to do. The fact that I haven't made friends makes me feel like I'm just too boring and ugly to make any.

I've also been struggling with my course. I like the topic but I'm already behind and it takes me a longer time to understand topics than other people. I've been waiting since freshers week for things to get better but they haven't. My friends from home are either too busy with their uni life or don't care about the situation I'm in so I have nobody to talk to. It just feels very lonely. Any advice?
Anonymous #1
Bump?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I haven't made any friends and it has been bothering me. I've tried my best speaking to people, but even when we get along and exchange contacts, the next time I see them they seem uninterested. This has happened so many times, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've joined societies and made friends, but they seem to be part of the 'popular crowd' and I don't fit in. I've joined sports clubs but I also seem to be excluded.

I do have social anxiety which explains why I'm bad with making friends but I don't know what to do. The fact that I haven't made friends makes me feel like I'm just too boring and ugly to make any.

I've also been struggling with my course. I like the topic but I'm already behind and it takes me a longer time to understand topics than other people. I've been waiting since freshers week for things to get better but they haven't. My friends from home are either too busy with their uni life or don't care about the situation I'm in so I have nobody to talk to. It just feels very lonely. Any advice?
I think this is a normal thing for a first year tbh and I wouldn't be too worried. If you remember when you first started out school, it was quite similar?
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
There are many similar threads to this. Just have a search of those and see if you could get any advice from there. We’re all saying the same things, Hun x
Anonymous #1
I think this is a normal thing for a first year tbh and I wouldn't be too worried. If you remember when you first started out school, it was quite similar?
When I started school I either made friends straight away or never did (eg: in some clubs I went to). So that's why I'm quite worried
Anonymous #1
There are many similar threads to this. Just have a search of those and see if you could get any advice from there. We’re all saying the same things, Hun x
I've been doing that and I feel like I've read most of the threads already, but I'll find new ones
Anonymous #4
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly it’s as if I wrote this. I’m in the exact same position and I know how you feel. Unfortunately I don’t have any advice, but if you need someone to talk to, I’m here.
Anonymous #5
Report 3 weeks ago
What course do you do, if you don't mind?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly it’s as if I wrote this. I’m in the exact same position and I know how you feel. Unfortunately I don’t have any advice, but if you need someone to talk to, I’m here.
honestly same here, fully want to drop out at this point.
Anonymous #1
What course do you do, if you don't mind?
I do biochemistry
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
I do biochemistry
I feel as if the science students are a lot more anti-social than humanities lot
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
University is tough. Make no mistake about it. What helped me in my first year was getting to know people on the course through group work. You can also try and join other societies - chess, table tennis. Sometimes the "unusual" ones have the most interesting people..
Anonymous #1
I feel as if the science students are a lot more anti-social than humanities lot
You think so? Lots of the science students have already made friends from day 1 here
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 0le)
University is tough. Make no mistake about it. What helped me in my first year was getting to know people on the course through group work. You can also try and join other societies - chess, table tennis. Sometimes the "unusual" ones have the most interesting people..
The group that I'm in are nice, but once again I get easily excluded, probably because I'm so quiet. I could join more societies but I don't have any more time to spare atm
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
You think so? Lots of the science students have already made friends from day 1 here
My course group chat is rammed full of people asking for study help since the course first started, but that's just my experience.
Anonymous #6
Report 3 weeks ago
same man, it's just less natural for some people to keep conversation going. just keep trying. never give up . talk to a new person everyday. after 100 people there will be a few that you will have connections with. it gets easier
Neurocandid
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

At uni by the end of 2nd year you'd wish you didn't take much friends especially when you do a course that requires ultimate focus.
Content becomes harder and harder; so don't try too hard to fit rather just be yourself and the right ones would be attracted. Perhaps join more societies , the more you expose yourself to the world the more the world notices you. You are beautiful btw
🦁Road to A** 🦁
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

You copied my life ... do you need friends... I have friends and all they do is hurt me and watch me bleed ... I suggest that you study... it’s just 4-5 years you can do it ... (sorry I’m not that helpful)
transient life
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

OMG I literally made a similar thread with similar problem!!

Please PM me, it's nice to chat to someone who actually gets it!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6196050
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
same man, it's just less natural for some people to keep conversation going. just keep trying. never give up . talk to a new person everyday. after 100 people there will be a few that you will have connections with. it gets easier
Good advice, thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?