3 or 4 A2s for economics Watch

TSR King
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
i was wondering whether i should do 4 A2s, Maths/FM/Eco/Comp, or should i drop computing... how much of an advantaeg is doing 4? also what are the general offers when apllying with 4?

thanks
La Songeuse
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you think that you can cope with the workload of doing four A2s then it certainly gives you an advantage over other students who only do 3 A2s. But if you think that you wouldn't be able to cope, AAA is better than AABB, or even ABBB.

As for offers, I do 4 A2s and my offer was AAA not AAAA so just because you take 4 A2s doesn't mean that they will necessarily up the offer.

Hope that helps
kamie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Because FM is one of those, your school may not like you to drop one - I persuaded mine on the basis that I had three additional AS's and the uni I wanted to go to okayed Maths, FM and Eco for their Economics courses (I rang and checked). To be honest though, I found that I had loads of spare time and really could have done another A Level without sacrificing much, and I doubt that it would have affected my grades. Offers are USUALLY made on 3 A-Levels, though some may specify the fourth.
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TSR King)
i was wondering whether i should do 4 A2s, Maths/FM/Eco/Comp, or should i drop computing... how much of an advantaeg is doing 4? also what are the general offers when apllying with 4?
The standard offer for UCL Economics (L100) is: AAA (including Maths and Economics)
That's what I got having applied with 5 A2s (Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics and Computing).

If you can keep up with all 4 subjects (including the substantial and time-consuming A2 Computing coursework), and end up with AAAA then you might as well do it.
The West Wing
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Computing isn't very valuable, you won't have an advantage applying with it as opposed to without it.
TSR King
Rep:
?
(Original post by alex_hk90)
The standard offer for UCL Economics (L100) is: AAA (including Maths and Economics)
That's what I got having applied with 5 A2s (Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics and Computing).

If you can keep up with all 4 subjects (including the substantial and time-consuming A2 Computing coursework), and end up with AAAA then you might as well do it.
cheers.. how did you find the computing cwk? what did you base it on? i want to do a stock control for a small takeaway business.
GuyM
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The West Wing)
Computing isn't very valuable, you won't have an advantage applying with it as opposed to without it.
Tian, you're back! :smartass:
TSR King
Rep:
?
but sure it is still an extra A2 level.. it still needs effort, knowledge and intelligence to get an A in it.. so would it not be an advantage, even if its not the biggest advantage in the world, when AAAA is better then AAA..
tucker672
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Drop computing.

They usually offer a 3 grade offer of AAA but with 4 they might offer AAAA.

Computing isn't highly "looked on" by top universites as far as the top uni's are concerned - I think.

And with Economics they would rather 3 A levels as it gives you more time to read more in depth on your subjects which they will really like.

Hope that helps,
Grant
The West Wing
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
but sure it is still an extra A2 level.. it still needs effort, knowledge and intelligence to get an A in it.. so would it not be an advantage, even if its not the biggest advantage in the world, when AAAA is better then AAA..
If you think so, although at all the universities I've been to they've been quick to emphasise that they prefer people who do less A levels with more development into them to those who do long strings of A levels, especially those which are irrelevant.
tucker672
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I ahev spoken to the top uni's (Oxford) and they said they would rather 3 subjects to 4 subjects the majority of the time in specific subjects like economics.

they said the reason why is becuase if you take a smaller amount of a levels you have better grades usually but also, it gives you more time to read about your subjects in the libary and basically get more in depth with your subjects.

Grant
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
cheers.. how did you find the computing cwk? what did you base it on? i want to do a stock control for a small takeaway business.
I found the programming quite satisfying but writing the report a little tedious (especially the Analysis and Design sections). It's going a bit off-topic so PM me if you want to discuss it more. And your idea sounds fine for the A2 project.
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you think so, although at all the universities I've been to they've been quick to emphasise that they prefer people who do less A levels with more development into them to those who do long strings of A levels, especially those which are irrelevant.
(Original post by tucker672)
I ahev spoken to the top uni's (Oxford) and they said they would rather 3 subjects to 4 subjects the majority of the time in specific subjects like economics.
Didn't do me any harm applying with 5 A2s.

PS: I know that the logic is seriously flawed. :p:
The West Wing
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by alex_hk90)
Didn't do me any harm applying with 5 A2s.

PS: I know that the logic is seriously flawed. :p:
You're special/sadistically hard working.
GuyM
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I second that as well, if that'd who I think it is... ^^^

God I'm off topic today
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You're special/sadistically hard working.
Then why am I an TSR at the moment instead of doing some work? :confused:

(Original post by GuyM)
I second that as well, if that'd who I think it is...
It might be who you think it is, if you are who I think you are.
GuyM
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Given that you live in MK, study in Aylesbury, lived in Hong Kong and are going to Cambridge to do economics and know Tian, I'm pretty sure you are who i think you are :P

Alex who helped teach me Mahjong right?
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by GuyM)
Given that you live in MK, study in Aylesbury, lived in Hong Kong and are going to Cambridge to do economics and know Tian, I'm pretty sure you are who i think you are :P

Alex who helped teach me Mahjong right?
Nice deduction, and completely correct.
karlwavfc
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i am not sure whether to do computing along with maths economics and german at a level. Are these good choices for a possible career in accounting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (508)
37.71%
No - but I will (103)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (644)
47.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise