The Student Room Group

is saying you look koren to a Chinese person racist

so my new teacher was getting to know us and asked where everyone was from. my mate said he was from China them the teacher said he looked Korean. I thought that was a little racist but I asked my friend if he thought it was racist and he said nah bro.
not racist at all:lol:
but must be annoying for them when people say all of them look the same. that must be really annoying.
Chinese people look nothing like Koreans. Or Japanese, for that matter.

It's a bit like someone from outside of the UK saying that there is a "British accent". Of course there are huge regional variations, but to the outsider without familiarity it is hard to categorise.

It is not racist, it just shows that they don't know what they are talking about.
Reply 3
I wouldn’t say it’s racist but it could be taken as a minor insult or a major insult. I suppose they may look similar in relation to their physical appearance, but it’s easily done, not racist but just inconsiderate.
I have a chinese friend who a lot of (east) asian people think "looks korean". Like a korean woman walked up to her on the street and started asking her for directions in korean. Maybe it's because she generally wears red eyeshadow and has good skin, which is what a lot of kpop stars go for these days... I guess generally non-asian people can't tell the difference, but it's quite funny how she's chinese and gets mistaken for being korean when it's usually the other way round (i.e. if you're east asian, people generally assume you're chinese)
I think it was a general mistake. I usually see racism as when someone uses a person's race against them to hurt them or prevent them from doing something everyone should be able to do. I suppose it could have been taken as a insult but I don't think the teacher meant any harm by it. In general I don't think the teacher needed to mention what race they thought they were at all but it didn't come a racist point of view, just lack of knowledge.

Quick Reply

Latest