(19) Should I drop out my ‘elite’ law degree program and start a 5-year CS degree? Watch

_w0rld
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I’m from a country where the BA degree (or college?) lasts between 4 and 7 years, being 5 or 6 the average.

Back in the high school, I got a full scholarship in the most-expensive university of my country. An university that I couldn’t pay in a million years. It’s great, people’s fine, I live in the dorms and we’re like a family there.

I’m finishing my second year of a 5-years program, so I’m kinda half-way. The thing is although I don’t hate the place and I’m doing ok in law school I’m not enjoying the discipline and I really don’t picture myself working in a law firm in the future.

There’re a couples of pros related with staying where I’m:
-I’ll finish my law degree being 23 years old when the average time of graduation in my country for a lawyer is 25 yo — the huge part of the higher education is free and programs get usually larger.
-I’d get a diploma from this exclusive university, which means nice job prospects and a lot of networking — I’ve class partners and friends who are the sons of not only CEOs but owners of the largest business of my country.
-Life in the uni is hell easy. It’s the only university in the country with a campus (and not a high gray building), teachers are great and usually full-time (not a common practice here), I can send em mails and they answer. It’s as well a relatively small university, we’re not more than 2000 students in college, so, it’s a really chill (and bubble-minded) life.
-I thinks this is one of the best pros: I can easily get a double-degree studying accounting another two years — one of the only universities that offers this option.
-I’m pretty good studying text, that’s why I’m doing good in law school. I find CS more challenging but also enjoyable.

About this last item. In a nutshell, three years from now I’d almost finishing a law degree and five years from now I’d almost finishing an accountant degree and a law degree. It looks great, I’d be one of the youngest with such diplomas in the country so jobs prospects are guaranteed.

On the other hand, I don’t know how happy I’m learning law & accounting and how happy I’ll be working in that field. I find much more interesting the field of the computer science (and if I wanna learn something about business in the future maybe study something related but later).

But there’re evident cons following this path and:
-It implies to drop out my current university (that doesn’t offer an IT-related degree) and switch to another, public, which is fine but it isn’t that prestigious as the current.
-It would take 5 years to get a degree. Next year my friends of my current uni who are doing a 4 years degree will say “next year I’m graduating”, I’d be saying “next year I’ll be in 2/5”.
-It implies to quit and lost the things that I accomplished here. Courses taken wouldn’t be recognized.
-I’d be joining the job market a lot later. I’d be fully independent at the age of 25 years. I’d feel like a burden to my family although they wouldn’t complain. I’d live with them as well, the CS university doesn’t have dorms.

The switch path looks awful in pragmatic terms — time. But besides at a minimum extent, related with IR affairs, politics and to know something about business I’m not interested in law and accounting.

The pros of studying CS are related with my subject interests. I can make some programming since I was a kid and I’ve been doing a couple of Edx, Udemy and FreeCodeCamp since high school so I can work decently with JS and know something about Python. I read the site hacker news daily and I find it hell interesting, as well as the subjects treated by IT related internet figures (in Twitter for example). There’re a lot of things to specialize in CS, accounting is pretty monotonous.

The tech and science field is a place where I do picture myself in the future. I read Nature since I was thirteen (just the magazine articles of course, not the high-technical papers), if I want to do something related with science it will be a lot interesting and feasible doing with CS than with law and accounting.

I want to live outside in the future. In the so-called first world or whatever. And the law degree isn’t the best option for it, I mean, if I get the possibility of practice law it would be after studying one to five years more to learn that foreign law. So I’d have to go to school again for learn more of something that I don’t enjoy that much neither I’m pretty sure about it and probably pay a **** ton of money for it. In the other hand, focus in CS would make me a lot more interesting for the foreign market job, at least at first.

The other option I think about it’s to study law and accounting in school but focus on CS via internet, make some projects, make a lot of more courses, etc. But it’s problematic, I get the feeling that I’m studying 5 years of law with literally no purpose.

I’m writing this in my smartphone. My PC just got broken. Sorry for the poor structure and the extension and thanks for any advice. I’m really having troubles making a decision.
ihacker
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I see You already worked out Options...........i only may wish you GOOD LUCK
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You can be at the most elite uni in the world ( which uni is it, by the way) but if you are on the wrong career path it will cause you regret.

You seem to be overly interested in prestige and money as well, which isn’t everything .

You need to do what makes you happy.

Even if you are a law graduate, you can go into different fields
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (48)
18.82%
Labour (105)
41.18%
Liberal Democrats (52)
20.39%
Green Party (15)
5.88%
Brexit Party (7)
2.75%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.57%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.96%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)