Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Basically I have been given a title I hate, I couldn’t find many articles on it, I told my supervisor she just said use the few you can find. I did 600 words but she hasn’t even gone through how to structure the introduction with me. Slo yesterday when we got to see the previous years dissertation’s I realised I structured it too long . Now it’s 5 weeks in and I am starting my dissertation from scratch. Help?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You still have plenty of time, since presumably it won't be due in until March-ish. You can catch up over the winter break and put in some extra work in the meantime. Just make sure to check if there are any interim submission dates for it such as a literature review or what have you (my uni had us submit lit reviews before the winter break), so you can prioritise those if needed.
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Your dissertation isn't due for months. You're going to be fine. Time isn't the issue. Your lack of certainty on what you're supposed ti be doing is. Try to get more help, but again you have LOADS of time
Anonymous #1
(Original post by artful_lounger)
You still have plenty of time, since presumably it won't be due in until March-ish. You can catch up over the winter break and put in some extra work in the meantime. Just make sure to check if there are any interim submission dates for it such as a literature review or what have you (my uni had us submit lit reviews before the winter break), so you can prioritise those if needed.
Thanks, but it’s due mid january and we are presenting in 7 weeks
Anonymous #1
(Original post by SophieSmall)
Your dissertation isn't due for months. You're going to be fine. Time isn't the issue. Your lack of certainty on what you're supposed ti be doing is. Try to get more help, but again you have LOADS of time
Thank you but it’s due in just over 2 months
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks, but it’s due mid january and we are presenting in 7 weeks
You have 3 months still in that case for the final submission. You need to just focus on preparing the presentation as much as possible and anything needed for that, and then working through the winter break to have it virtually complete when you go back in January so you can meet with your supervisor regarding any final touches that need putting in.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Basically I have been given a title I hate, I couldn’t find many articles on it, I told my supervisor she just said use the few you can find. I did 600 words but she hasn’t even gone through how to structure the introduction with me. Slo yesterday when we got to see the previous years dissertation’s I realised I structured it too long . Now it’s 5 weeks in and I am starting my dissertation from scratch. Help?
At least you've realised that your structure isn't correct early on, so you can now get on with fixing it. 600 words isn't a lot to fix, so it's easily doable in the time you have left.

Go and visit your study skills department to get more help on structuring your literature review and intro if you need it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?