Stroke . . . Watch

DancinBallerina
Badges: 20
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
My gawd - I'm quite shocked - a friend of mine who i've literally grown up with suffered a stroke last week @ the age of 22! She apprently can't move her arms or legs, but apparently is ok.

I'm well gutted and shocked that something which is usually associated with the elderly has happened to someone who is young, fit and healthy.

It was the week before last that my friend texted me and said I should come round and visit and I said I would - I hear this and now want to visit her but don't want her thinking that im just coming because she's poorly.

Was just about to start revision, but im now completely distracted by such news .
misswilliams
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am sure she will apprehciate the visit anyway, she won't just think it's because of that as you had arranged to visit!

People make remarkable recoveries from strokes, and after some physio she should be able to get back to normal or as close to.

I hope she gets better.
Redpanda91
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Really sorry to hear that, if you go and visit I'm sure she'll just be happy to see you rather than think "oh she's just coming because i'm ill". Unfortunately strokes can happen to anyone, since they're caused by a burst blood vessel in the brain, but I guess they are more common in the elderly because their blood vessels are older and mroe fragile or something? I really hope she gets better soon!
And maybe once you've seen her you'll be able to put your mind at rest a bit and revise, at least you'll know that she's def. gonna be fine
OllyThePhilosopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think you should go see her. Things will probably be get really awkward the more you put it off (then again, I don't know the exact state she's in). It may take your mind off it a little if you do see her.
xxTamxx
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
If she is a true true friend, which she sounds like she is, no matter how hard it is for you to just disconnect, she wouldn't want you to do badly because your mind is focused on her. Just knuckle down and try to see your revision as a distraction if not anything else.

If you really cant get stuck into your revision, maybe going to visit her would be3 as beneficial to you as it will be to her. Be prepared for what you might see but just remember, she would much rather you there than feel you have abandoned her or even feel embarrased in her prescence!

Good Luck with your exams!
x
DancinBallerina
Yea, I think I will go and see her with my other friend who has also grown up with her (we use to all dance together) - I will feel a lot better and be able to revise once I have been. Such a shock though.

(Original post by xxTamxx)
If she is a true true friend, which she sounds like she is, no matter how hard it is for you to just disconnect, she wouldn't want you to do badly because your mind is focused on her. Just knuckle down and try to see your revision as a distraction if not anything else.
Yea that is what is bothering me - I want to badly revise, but I also want to go and see her!? . . . I said to my mate yea I will go, but I was thinkin more next week after my exam which is Tuesday evening @ 5.15pm!!! :rolleyes:
museobsessed
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
definitely go and see her. The younger people are the quicker they recover. my dad was 50, which is still young for having a stroke, and hes recovered incredibly well considering what he was like when he was in hospital the two weeks after it happened
FireDeuce
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm sure she doesn't care whether or not you are coming to visit her because she had a stroke... if you are really good friends you really should, it'll be weird at first but by the time you leave you'll have practically forgotten, it'll cheer her up immensely aswell.
shivangee
Report 10 years ago
im really sorry that she has had a stroke. Try to concentrate on your exams because if you do badly you will feel sad about both things i hope your friends gets well soon
DancinBallerina
Found out Friday that the reason why my friend had the Stroke is because she has a hole in her heart!

Have decided to go and see her after my exam as I know if I go it'll be a big distraction and probably make me less motivated to revise.
Titch89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Very sorry to hear that.

With regards to visits - might be better to wait after the exam. That would also give her family a chance to visit her.
DancinBallerina
(Original post by Titch89)
Very sorry to hear that.

With regards to visits - might be better to wait after the exam. That would also give her family a chance to visit her.
Yea its why im going after my exam (still got revision to do and I know it'll distract me and make me less motivated) - I don't do a lot in the week anyway apart from hunt for jobs and I guess the majority of her family will visit weekend as they aren't at work. Her sister did say that she is tired and not very talkative, so I wouldn't stay long anyway, just want to say heylo and give her a get well card - I was thinkin of getting her some chocolate or something, but i thought if she can't really use her arms, i don't want to make her to feel awkward or something - if that makes sense?! . . .
jenren22
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sorry to hear that . Alot of people take youth for granted, i had a DVT and PE (blood clots) in my legs and lungs last year just after my 18th birthday. I'm still here and recovered, but i'll always live with the memory, and confusion as to why something so serious happened to me.
DancinBallerina
(Original post by jenren22)
Sorry to hear that . Alot of people take youth for granted, i had a DVT and PE (blood clots) in my legs and lungs last year just after my 18th birthday. I'm still here and recovered, but i'll always live with the memory, and confusion as to why something so serious happened to me.
Oh gawd - hope your much better now.

Yes definately, the majority of us do take life for granted - kinda makes me wondering to the say - ''live each day as if its your last'' . . . .

Sounds depressing, but its kinda true to what its saying because you just never know - make the most of life basically.
DancinBallerina
Went to see my friend today - she was very pleased to see me and my friend.

She looked very well, she said we caught her on a good day as she's been quite tired.

She's hopefully planning on going home Friday - so I have said that I will come and visit her, keep her company whilst she's recovering and etc.
xxTamxx
Report 10 years ago
You sound like a fantastic friend, I hope everything goes well in terms of recovery. Both take care of yourselves!
x x
DominF
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DancinBallerina)
Yea its why im going after my exam (still got revision to do and I know it'll distract me and make me less motivated) - I don't do a lot in the week anyway apart from hunt for jobs and I guess the majority of her family will visit weekend as they aren't at work. Her sister did say that she is tired and not very talkative, so I wouldn't stay long anyway, just want to say heylo and give her a get well card - I was thinkin of getting her some chocolate or something, but i thought if she can't really use her arms, i don't want to make her to feel awkward or something - if that makes sense?! . . .
Uhm... Not to sound insensitive, but I'm not sure you're grasping how really important it is that you see her. You should wait until after your exam, that's important, but the way you talk about how you don't have much else to do anyway really gives off the wrong message.
DancinBallerina
(Original post by DominF)
Uhm... Not to sound insensitive, but I'm not sure you're grasping how really important it is that you see her. You should wait until after your exam, that's important, but the way you talk about how you don't have much else to do anyway really gives off the wrong message.
MEH - I don't think your quite grasping what i have been saying.

Yes I was planning on goin to see her BEFORE my exam, HOWEVER I decided NOT to and revise instead.
I thought post 15 was a big HINT that I had done my exam, but obviously not!!! :rolleyes: lol . . . .
cascadingstylez
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hate to put a downer on things but go and visit her.

I know 2 people who had a stroke. One woke up and couldn't move his arms, but recovered well and is ok. The other had a stroke, recovered, and relapsed a few years later and sadley died. He was 23.

Some people never recover fully from a stroke. Luther Vandross for one.

I hope she is ok. Just support her fully. The more support she has the better chance of a good recovery.
DancinBallerina
Does nobody read? lol . . .

I went to visit my Friend on Tuesday AFTER my exam. I plan on going to see her at her flat when she is home - when that is, I don't know. jeeze . . . . lol :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (535)
37.81%
No - but I will (111)
7.84%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.78%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (673)
47.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise