The Student Room Group

Favourite slow cooker recipes

I'm at university and my dad gave me a slow cooker he found on sale. I've used it twice (both for Bolognese) and it's super good. Put everything in, stir, put the lid on and leave on low. Leave for 10 hours (do this at 7am, ready for 5pm) and serve. What recipes do you use with a slow cooker and any suggestions of budget all-in-1 meals to throw in the slow cooker? (all-in-one being no cooking beforehand, putting in and letting it cook for 10-12 hours)
Ideally you want to braise the meat first regardless of overall cook time but you can forgo it.

My personal favourite is this Chilli Con Carne.
Second only to Coca Cola Ham, glazing it is optional normally honey/mustard.
Reply 2
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Ideally you want to braise the meat first regardless of overall cook time but you can forgo it.

My personal favourite is this Chilli Con Carne.
Second only to Coca Cola Ham, glazing it is optional normally honey/mustard.

Thanks! With the Chilli Con Carne I guess you could forgo frying the beef and instead break it up and set the slow cooker for 12 hours? I'm thinking

1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 large onion
250g Beef Mince
1 tin of Red Kidney Beans
Chilli Powder, Dried Mixed Herbs, Salt, Pepper, some Season All
Tomato Puree
Optional vegetables (Mushrooms, Peas, Sweetcorn, Spinach, Bell Peppers, etc)

Put all of it in, combine/mix, put slow cooker on low and leave for half a day
Original post by DanF_2000
Thanks! With the Chilli Con Carne I guess you could forgo frying the beef and instead break it up and set the slow cooker for 12 hours? I'm thinking

1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 large onion
250g Beef Mince
1 tin of Red Kidney Beans
Chilli Powder, Dried Mixed Herbs, Salt, Pepper, some Season All
Tomato Puree
Optional vegetables (Mushrooms, Peas, Sweetcorn, Spinach, Bell Peppers, etc)

Put all of it in, combine/mix, put slow cooker on low and leave for half a day

Sounds pretty good, however the Cumin is must have spice, it is what gives chilli its unique flavour.

Quick Reply

Latest