ohlittlegarden
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I want to start my creative journey and begin by doing my own portfolio I guess as well as getting used to starting my online path, however I am a bit nervous to do this.

I am in college, as well as looking into starting Graphic Design in University next year, but I want to start my own catalogue and finding out my own signature and style into my creative/design work.

I want to start blogging- but I don't know about what, what platform is best to do this,any free sites where I can be paid from it, as well as a creative community also.

I want to start a website- again I don't know what to put on there or which site to use that is free.

I'll probably need a Twitter or Instagram- but what can I post on there, how should I use it to my advantage in order to create contacts as well as networking?

I would like to start commissioning and doing side paid work in the future, but I am still at the beginner stage. What sort of work can I do and how and where to find and build contacts?

Also, any good free design brief sites that I can use to get me used to the process?

Many thanks.
insidedesigner
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Spend 95% of your time creating work, then 5% promoting it. Instagram is by far the best way of doing this for someone in your situation but don't get obsessed with gaining likes. Create work for you, not anyone else.

To get a bit of experience of paid work, start by asking friends and family. Prospective clients (that you don't know) will want to know what you can do before they give you money.

Invest in a book about the design process in graphic design, or have a look in your college library. There are quite a few good ones. Ask your tutor for advice - they're there to help!

Good luck.
ohlittlegarden
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by insidedesigner)
Spend 95% of your time creating work, then 5% promoting it. Instagram is by far the best way of doing this for someone in your situation but don't get obsessed with gaining likes. Create work for you, not anyone else.

To get a bit of experience of paid work, start by asking friends and family. Prospective clients (that you don't know) will want to know what you can do before they give you money.

Invest in a book about the design process in graphic design, or have a look in your college library. There are quite a few good ones. Ask your tutor for advice - they're there to help!

Good luck.
Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Harper Adams University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 17 Nov '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (131)
18.93%
Labour (292)
42.2%
Liberal Democrats (139)
20.09%
Green Party (38)
5.49%
Brexit Party (20)
2.89%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.29%
SNP (9)
1.3%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.87%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.14%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.14%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)