Need advice, figures aren't adding up.. Watch

Roquentin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've had to fill in a 'financial guarantee declaration' form for Cambridge and these are the figures I've got.

Need to pay:
3145 (tuition fees)
+
6750 (estimated living costs by Cambridge)
-----
£9895

Money I'm getting:
3145 (tuition fees loan)
+
3365 (maintenance loan)
+
2835 (maintenance grant)
-----
£9345

This means I've got a deficit of £550 meaning that I'm not really in any place to sign the form saying that I certify I can raise all the necessary money.

As I see it my options are:
Fill the form in and hope no one notices or I get offerred cheap accommodation / beg parents for money (not much use when parents are already in debt) / see what bank options I've got available, perhaps an overdraft (?) or using up the last of my meagre savings.

I'd hate for this to stop me going to uni (which clearly is not an option), so.. what to do?
Ninja32
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You're going to work in the holidays right?
I'm at Oxford, so like me ull get 6 weeks for christmas, 6 weeks for easter and 16 (!) weeks for summer.
You're lucky you get a grant, and only have a £550 deficit to make up. A £550 deficit, when working at minimum wage is around 100 hours of work or 10-15 days work in a year. Sign the form, I'm sure ull be fine
Jamin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Unless im reading wrong, the 6750 is an estimated living costs...which the uni itself has given you.

So unless that is how much they are charging for accomodation/catering then you could get by on less than that.
Roquentin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Yeah cheers.
Depends on what band of accommodation I choose from at the college I guess. Might have to settle for a cold, leaky room, etc. but that's pragmatism for you!

Also, I should be getting a job over the next few weeks (interview at co-op tomorrow) so I'll be saving saving saving.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.74%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (635)
47.74%

Watched Threads