Write a letter to yourself and read it in September 2009... Watch

This discussion is closed.
Redpanda91
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Well in reply to the thread "write a letter to yourself, 5 years ago" I thought i'd create this thread! I wrote a letter to myself to be read in September 09 last night, mainly because that's the month i'll be starting uni so i thought it'd be interesting to see how things change!
Dear Rachel,
Well, I hope you got into uni! If not, re-take the year and apply again, don't give up like you normally do. Don't abandon your friends back at home, you would've been lost without them in the 6th form, remember? And email church every now and then, call mum every couple of days to let her know you're ok, you know how much she cares! Work hard Rachel, if you thought A-levels were hard this is gonna be a lot harder Don't do anything stupid. And pray, every day and try and keep up with your bible reading, it'll do you good. Also, don't give up the guitar and whatever you do keep singing! You'll get more confidence. Don't be afraid to talk to people
Love Rachel (July 08)

anyway it'd be interesting to read people's replies
foxo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How excruciatingly cheesy.
Redpanda91
Rep:
?
(Original post by foxo)
Oi just because you think it's cheesy :p: Other people's might not be!
nothingspek
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by foxo)
That's what I was thinking.
.pushing.charlotte.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i think i was just sick a little bit
freeforever
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's worrying, that sounds like your writing that letter to me, I'm Christian, need to not give up, need to keep in touch with my friends, pray and read the bible, I also play the guitar, sing and my name's Rachel Might just steal ur letter :P
Joanna May
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How cheesy. Why not just write

Dear Rachel
Remember every awful cliche you've ever heard in your life and follow them.
Love Rachel.

Saves a lot of ink.
Redpanda91
Rep:
?
(Original post by freeforever)
That's worrying, that sounds like your writing that letter to me, I'm Christian, need to not give up, need to keep in touch with my friends, pray and read the bible, I also play the guitar, sing and my name's Rachel Might just steal ur letter :P
I have a clone! That's awesome, first sensible reply on the whole thread thanks for not taking the mickey

And to everyone else: I don't care what you think, muahaha.
Crimson Black
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Dear Nat,
Nice to know you're still alive. Get off TSR, you twunt.
Best wishes from the past,
Nat.
freeforever
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Redpanda91)
I have a clone! That's awesome, first sensible reply on the whole thread thanks for not taking the mickey

And to everyone else: I don't care what you think, muahaha.
Lol s'ok, I think its a great idea. Might add a bit more to your letter and use that lol. Would keep me motivated
We're even in the same year lol!
libertine861
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it's good to have targets and to write them down and look over them. Your concept is a bit unusual. I don't think it would work for me personally, I would probably forget I even wrote the letter and I need to be reminded on a regular basis of my targets and aims. Having a look in a years time wouldn't be enough really. It is strange having a snap shot of your own history though. I've been emailing a girl I met online for about 6 years now and occasionally she will send me an email that I sent years ago and it's really strange reading what I had to say.
nothingspek
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Dear me,
If you haven't been shot/stabbed/multilated yet then congratulations.
Love me.
Redpanda91
Rep:
?
(Original post by freeforever)
Lol s'ok, I think its a great idea. Might add a bit more to your letter and use that lol. Would keep me motivated
We're even in the same year lol!
Yeah that's exactly why I did it, because I suffer from self-confidence issues and I'll need a lot of confidence at uni, so I thought i'd give myself a bit of encouragement from the past :p:
You do Psychology too... ah!
Redpanda91
Rep:
?
(Original post by nothingspek)
Dear me,
If you haven't been shot/stabbed/multilated yet then congratulations.
Love me.
That's gonna worry you in a year's time :p:
foxo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Dear Neil,

Lay off the weed, you're developing multiple personalities.

Yours sincerely,

Neil
Jabbamuffin
Badges: 1
Report 10 years ago
Dear Olie...

If you're not getting any sex you should be either ashamed, or a very high level on World of Warcraft.
freeforever
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Redpanda91)
Yeah that's exactly why I did it, because I suffer from self-confidence issues and I'll need a lot of confidence at uni, so I thought i'd give myself a bit of encouragement from the past :p:
You do Psychology too... ah!
yep lol. Very strange...will PM you to stop hijacking ur thread lol!
Feexx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
dear Flick
i can't believe you're still wasting your time on here
love Flick
libertine861
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Here is an excerpt from an Article that I have read which you might find interesting:

In a very famous survey carried out in 1953 at Yale University each and every student was asked their views on a number of topics relating to this great seat of learning; what they thought of the campus, the staff, the library, the lecturers even their opinions on the campus canteen were sought. Every imaginable question about life at Yale (and in fact life its self) was posed. One of the most intriguing questions asked of the final year students was 'Do you have goals?' Followed by 'If you have goals do you write them down?' Only 10 percent of those surveyed actually had goals and of these only a minute 4 percent said they actually wrote their goals down.
Interesting you'll probably agree, even disappointing but not enough to write home to mum about. What was interesting, even disturbing was the follow up survey some 20 years later when Yale repeated the exercise. This time, rather than pose the same set of questions to the current crop of final year students they decided to throw a bit of currency at the project and find all the people from the original survey of 53, to see if their youthful aspirations were up-and-running in their current lives.
It was agreed, and after much globetrotting research the majority of those surveyed 20 years before were found and asked 'How did your life pan out?'

Amazingly, the 4 per cent who had written down their goals were all hugely successful, in their health, their relationships, community and in their financial affairs. They were outstandingly different from everyone else surveyed. The 4 per cent were also financially independent; in fact between them they were worth more than all the other 96 per cent - those who did not write down their goals - put together.
What this should tell us is that goals in life are not just important they are fundamental. If you don't have them you don't get them. And if you want them badly enough you'll make that extra commitment to write them down. It makes them official. You need a definite destination, how can you ever get there if you don't even know where 'there' is?
foxo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by libertine861)
Here is an excerpt from an Article that I have read which you might find interesting:

In a very famous survey carried out in 1953 at Yale University each and every student was asked their views on a number of topics relating to this great seat of learning; what they thought of the campus, the staff, the library, the lecturers even their opinions on the campus canteen were sought. Every imaginable question about life at Yale (and in fact life its self) was posed. One of the most intriguing questions asked of the final year students was 'Do you have goals?' Followed by 'If you have goals do you write them down?' Only 10 percent of those surveyed actually had goals and of these only a minute 4 percent said they actually wrote their goals down.
Interesting you'll probably agree, even disappointing but not enough to write home to mum about. What was interesting, even disturbing was the follow up survey some 20 years later when Yale repeated the exercise. This time, rather than pose the same set of questions to the current crop of final year students they decided to throw a bit of currency at the project and find all the people from the original survey of 53, to see if their youthful aspirations were up-and-running in their current lives.
It was agreed, and after much globetrotting research the majority of those surveyed 20 years before were found and asked 'How did your life pan out?'

Amazingly, the 4 per cent who had written down their goals were all hugely successful, in their health, their relationships, community and in their financial affairs. They were outstandingly different from everyone else surveyed. The 4 per cent were also financially independent; in fact between them they were worth more than all the other 96 per cent - those who did not write down their goals - put together.
What this should tell us is that goals in life are not just important they are fundamental. If you don't have them you don't get them. And if you want them badly enough you'll make that extra commitment to write them down. It makes them official. You need a definite destination, how can you ever get there if you don't even know where 'there' is?
It tells us that those with goals are passionless money-grabbing bores.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads