About to start first year at Uni... What can I be doing? Watch

jenny0502
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey

So, I've finished A-Levels and have a place (grades permitting) to do maths at a good uni. I'd like to go into a career in investment banking. Could anybody please give me advice on what sort of things I could be doing to make me desirable for a spring internship - are there any events/introductions to investment banking at any of the banks etc?

many thanks
scottishlad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Get some ECs underway while at Uni e.g. join sports clubs and societies, preferably work your way up to an executive position within the society/sports club. Things like starting your own business shows that you have ability to think outside the box and entrepreneurial skills. Go to as many networking events as possible such as careers fairs at your Uni where there might be banks recruiting. Keeping your grades up is also as most banks have an minimum requirement of a 2:1 at undergraduate level. If you do all these things you should be fine.
Jibzy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Indeed!! be pro-active...

perhaps do certain things to show an interest in certain areas of IB. i.e in relation asset management (if you were applying there) for instance, you could start setting up your own "virtual" portfolio of shares, commodities and so on, and perhaps enter competitions

it all adds up..... (along with all what "Scottishblad" said.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have fun...really you will be 18 and in this precise position only once, make the most of it and have the time of your life. You can fit in plenty of EC's in the first year so just do that. A word of warning, Maths is a tough course so don't expect to be able to party like the dossers that do History and other such subjects. First year Maths is not easy..
unknown demon
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Barny)
Have fun...really you will be 18 and in this precise position only once, make the most of it and have the time of your life. You can fit in plenty of EC's in the first year so just do that. A word of warning, Maths is a tough course so don't expect to be able to party like the dossers that do History and other such subjects. First year Maths is not easy..

I've seen many people be tremendously pro active and still manage to do well on the academic side, social side and balance jobs, great EC's - think business start ups, working part time in very good jobs et. Entirely possible. Agreed Maths is a very tough course, but with the right attitude and efficient approach alot can be achieved between year 1 and graduation along with a 1st/2.1 at the end.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know, you missed my point, I'm treasurer of Entrepreneurs soc, Physics Soc, Poker Soc, worked 12 hours a week in an accountancy firm, started my own business which is going to be selling by the end of summer and got a first in my first year in Maths & Physics and had a girlfriend to look after the whole time but I only did all that because I had the fortune/misfortune to have already had a first year elsewhere, so didn't feel I needed to go to Oceana 4 times a week like the rest of the first years..if I was in the position of the OP I'd forget about doing any of that *******s and just have fun. Make friends, enjoy yourself, try and do some extra-curricular stuff if you want but don't bust your balls about it. At the same time don't get too wrapped up in the whole freshers year thing and make sure you do actually do some work otherwise you'll get bitten in the ass come exam time. There is only one time in life where you can legitimately wake up at 1pm everyday and not worry about it, and that's your first year. That's just my advice/opinion..
uthinkilltellu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jenny0502)
Hey

So, I've finished A-Levels and have a place (grades permitting) to do maths at a good uni. I'd like to go into a career in investment banking. Could anybody please give me advice on what sort of things I could be doing to make me desirable for a spring internship - are there any events/introductions to investment banking at any of the banks etc?

many thanks
don't know if this has been posted but in your 1st year:

1) GS FICC/ GS IBD spring internship (depending on your preference, but FICC gives out offer for 2nd year internships to the highers performing interns so its more coveted)
2) JPM Industry impressions (in september, but its still condsidered a 1st year internship - they also give out 2nd year internships)

also, try to get a position of power in your 1st year (capitan, VP, treasurer, etc)
RJA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm in sort of the same boat. I am aiming to get on either the GS FICC or the GS IBD spring weeks. Obviously just make sure you are well informed about the economy, stock market etc. Perhaps deal in some shares, or join some societies (they don't all need to be academic/relevant :rolleyes:)

Out of interest, which uni are you going to??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (179)
39.43%
No - but I will (25)
5.51%
No - I don't want to (32)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (218)
48.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise