The Student Room Group

Should I quit uni or is it saveable?

The first week was fine but as of the last 2-3 weeks, sh*t has really hit the fan regarding the work.

I was never as academic as my school results suggested since I wasn’t a natural studier but I did find a way to make things work. However, I feel as if I’ve been rushed in at uni.

I posted a thread last week about going to London with family over the weekend. I went and enjoyed it but now I am in quite deep dookie because I’m really behind. I missed a Politics essay deadline for Monday and I keep forgetting things in French.

I also had a French speaking today which was disaster. We had to show a French student around a part of the campus, my group was assigned the accommodation. I don’t stay at the uni so already knew nothing but to add to the problem, my social anxiety kicked in and the other folks ended up doing most of the talking themselves (one in particular kept going on forever). I ended up saying around 3 sentences so probably have gained 0 marks and made a total t*t of myself in front of several classmates. There goes my chances of ever being friendly with them...doesn’t do much to boost my confidence since I really want to make a friend.

Since I’m getting behind and pretty flustered, can I salvage this? Or am I beyond help and should quit?

Sorry for rambling but needed to get things off my chest (and I feel better for it).
Original post by Anonymous
The first week was fine but as of the last 2-3 weeks, sh*t has really hit the fan regarding the work.

I was never as academic as my school results suggested since I wasn’t a natural studier but I did find a way to make things work. However, I feel as if I’ve been rushed in at uni.

I posted a thread last week about going to London with family over the weekend. I went and enjoyed it but now I am in quite deep dookie because I’m really behind. I missed a Politics essay deadline for Monday and I keep forgetting things in French.

I also had a French speaking today which was disaster. We had to show a French student around a part of the campus, my group was assigned the accommodation. I don’t stay at the uni so already knew nothing but to add to the problem, my social anxiety kicked in and the other folks ended up doing most of the talking themselves (one in particular kept going on forever). I ended up saying around 3 sentences so probably have gained 0 marks and made a total t*t of myself in front of several classmates. There goes my chances of ever being friendly with them...doesn’t do much to boost my confidence since I really want to make a friend.

Since I’m getting behind and pretty flustered, can I salvage this? Or am I beyond help and should quit?

Sorry for rambling but needed to get things off my chest (and I feel better for it).

I definitely think you can salvage it. A lot of us don't do that well during first year of uni because of anxiety and mental health issues. I suggest you visit your school counsellor or contact the well being service of your school and speak with them about the issues you are having. Mental health is really common especially amongst university students so you are not the only one struggling with it. Also, have you considered switching your course? Or possibly taking a break from uni to figure things out?
Reply 2
Original post by Lippieart
I definitely think you can salvage it. A lot of us don't do that well during first year of uni because of anxiety and mental health issues. I suggest you visit your school counsellor or contact the well being service of your school and speak with them about the issues you are having. Mental health is really common especially amongst university students so you are not the only one struggling with it. Also, have you considered switching your course? Or possibly taking a break from uni to figure things out?

I haven’t actually considered switching course purely because my skill set is quite limited. I can actually do French no problem, it’s just that I’m behind in the work and that social anxiety took over in that speaking.
Reply 3
Original post by Lippieart

I haven’t actually considered switching course purely because my skill set is quite limited. I can actually do French no problem, it’s just that I’m behind in the work and that social anxiety took over in that speaking.
Reply 4
Sorry, double posted.
Reply 5
Create a timetable. Write your assignment deadlines on your calendar on your phone and set reminders. You will have to dedicate 2-3 hours a day minimum to uni work (that's what I'm doing, if not more) and I can barely keep up. Then again my course (Economics and finance) is so demanding in terms of assignments and seminar work. But yeah, just create a realistic timetable - whenever you get an assignment note it down, figure out when your gonna complete it.
Original post by Anonymous

Maybe you should consider taking a break then. Or speak to your academic adviser for guidance..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending