The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Absurd
Your teacher is stupid.

Hah... that should be a paradox. A stupid teacher... hmm...
wanderlust.xx
Hah... that should be a paradox. A stupid teacher... hmm...

It should be. (An oxymoron rather than a paradox -- but, ignore me, I'm just being my arsey self!) Though unfortunately it isn't.

In this case, I see the teacher's point though. (If you don't, read my post, the second to last on the first page.)
I hate threads like this 'doing X is now racist!'. No, no it's not. Your ill-informed teacher thought it was.

It's a bit like a terrorist saying the West is full of infidels and suicide bombing is justified and me making the thread 'Blowing up 'trains' is fine, apparently :s-smilie:'.

It's one person's opinion, and therefore you are an arse. It's a bit like those who talk about 'they' all the time. 'They' won't let me say what I want, 'they' are giving my jobs to effnicks, 'they' are taking this country to the dogs. Who are 'they'? Your thread title is 'racist' according to whom? One person? Exactly. It's not.
I always write English if I can. It is obviously not racist, it is just stating your nationality.
If you are english, you should be able to write english.

I always tick other and write white european, it makes me sound so much more interesting, plus im only half british so its true.

And incase anyones wondering i said british becuase that includes english and welsh.

If you were welsh you would say you were welsh
if you were scottish you would say you were scottish

its just cos english are so dan afraid of offending them that you cant even be patriotic or anything
Reply 25
Why do people not even skim-read two-page threads before replying? The OP has already said that she put English down for racial group and not nationality, that was the problem.
kayscout
Why do people not even skim-read two-page threads before replying? The OP has already said that she put English down for racial group and not nationality, that was the problem.

The same reason why people read with horror the headlines in the Daily Mail, as opposed to the last paragraph which usually tells the 'real story': laziness.
It's not racist, but it does give the slight impression of a nationalist, whether it's a valid impression or not.

For example, if I met a Scotsman who claimed to be Scottish and not British, I'd probably assume they were an SNP sympathiser.
How can it be racist? Black people can be English.
Nationality and Ethnicity are different things!!
kayscout

Thats not just the problem.

If yu'd have read my previous post you would have found that according to the UCAS website English isn't even a nationality. Yiu have to be british. Which i find insulting.
Reply 30
Why are you getting insulted by the difference between british and english? They're the bloody same thing nearly.
Reply 31
largebrandon
That is kinda ridiculous if you ask me. Its like if I say I'm a New Yorker instead of saying American. I do not see how that's racist.

It's nothing like that. New York is not a country.
Reply 32
What does your passport say under nationality ? Go on look.. it says British.
i blame the brown people
The funny thing is that while english may seem racist, welsh is an ethnic minority apparently! :rolleyes:
Reply 35
I always put English, **** the PC police
Tombola
Why are you getting insulted by the difference between british and english? They're the bloody same thing nearly.

British implies you could be Scottish, Welsh, Irish or English... English is simply English!
Reply 37
jismith1989
EDIT: I think it's because you may have put English for your racial group -- English isn't a racial group, it's a nationality. White British is a racial group. It could be considered racist because it tacitly assumes that being English is to be white (even if you don't think that). But it's a simple mistake; not a real issue.

But it's a drop-down menu, so it's not like you have a chance to go wrong :s-smilie:
On the form, the part entitled 'Nationality' gives you only the opportunity to state British. Then in the Additional Info' section, under the box 'Ethnic Origin' it drops down again to show White/Black/Asian etc, then the third box entitled 'National Identity' gives you the option between English, Welsh, Irish and Scottish (or other).
Reply 38
inksplodge
British implies you could be Scottish, Welsh, Irish or English... English is simply English!

English born chinese just doesn't sound right.

I'll stick with BBC.
Reply 39
Why do you consider yourself English and not British? :s-smilie: All for one, and one for all is what I say. Lets all be friends. :flutter:

Latest

Trending

Trending