* Czech Republic – Brno, Czech Republic[36]
* Sri Lanka – Colombo, Sri Lanka[37]
* Germany – Dortmund, Germany[38]
* South Africa – Durban, South Africa[39]

* The People's Republic of China – Hangzhou, China[40]
* France – Lille, France[41]
* The United States – Louisville, Kentucky (United States)[42]
* Germany – Siegen, Germany[37]
Apparently where I live is twinned with a town in France called Vannes, never knew that before.
there's a place near me twinned with Farques (rep for pronunciation :wink: )
Derby is twinned with Osnabruck in Germany. I have been to Osnabruck and its pretty nice, quite small though, just like Derby!
Reply 6
my:favorite:things...
Derby is twinned with Osnabruck in Germany. I have been to Osnabruck and its pretty nice, quite small though, just like Derby!

I'm originally from Derby never noticed where it was twinned with - Love that place, Derby is :cool:
Yeah my tiny town of Heywood is twinned with Pienne in germanyland, i really feel sorry for them being twined with this craphole, but hey ho, for all i know thats a craphole too.
Chard is twinned with Beirut - Lebanon xD
EvenStevens
Leeds

Twinned with

* Czech Republic Brno, Czech Republic[36]
* Sri Lanka Colombo, Sri Lanka[37]
* Germany Dortmund, Germany[38]
* South Africa Durban, South Africa[39]

* The People's Republic of China Hangzhou, China[40]
* France Lille, France[41]
* The United States Louisville, Kentucky (United States)[42]
* Germany Siegen, Germany[37]

Cool, what do the numbers at the end mean? & how come we are twinned with so many?!
I live in Nyon, in Switzerland... twinned with Nyons, in France.

Haha. High-five for originality.
arisk01
there's a place near me twinned with Farques (rep for pronunciation :wink: )

Fark. (not for the rep, just because you should know that if you've studied French.. or were you taking the piss. Je ne sais pas.)

Birmingham's town twins are:

Chicago, Illinois, United States
Frankfurt, Germany
Guangzhou, China
Johannesburg, South Africa
Leipzig, Germany
Nanjing, China
Lyon, France
Milan, Italy

Mirpur, Azad Kashmir, Pakistan - Friendship agreement

Birmingham, Alabama, USA is named after the city and shares an industrial kinship.
jenna_is_ace
Cool, what do the numbers at the end mean? & how come we are twinned with so many?!

I copypasta'd from wikipedia. The numbers would have been links to references.
we're twinned with

Mtwara in Tanzania
Auxerre in Burgundy, France

i don't think either of these towns would choose to be twinned with redditch...its a bit of a dump!
"Wootton Fitzpaine is a village in south west Dorset, England, situated in the Marshwood Vale three miles north east of Lyme Regis. The village has a population of 347 (2001), 16.3% of dwellings are second homes."

not twinned with anything :P
Reply 15
My nearest town is twinned with Isigny-sur-mer (France) and Weilerbach (Germany). I'm guessing both are pretty small.
OG, what do you think? =P

I studied the International Baccalaureate
Reply 17
Waldbrol, sounds beautiful.

As a younger man I thought that if a location was twinned with another, it was identical in design and layout, but had weird rip-offs of us living there. I wanted to go and see the people that lived in our house.

Edit: On reflection, this perfectly represents the solipsism of youth.
AFAIK, twinning is to do with the politics and geography of said towns, and has nothing to do with the people who live there, or what the living standards are like. Twinning obviously does not take into account the country or economic power of the countries they are in, so towns will progress more than their twins in most cases. This kinda nulls your thread. Sorry.
actually-
- Osnabrück, Germany
- Kapurthala, India (friendship link)
- Haarlem, Netherlands (friendship link)
- Foncqueviliers, France (friendship link)
- Toyota City, Japan
- Changzhi, China (Memorandum of Understanding)
Along with Wigan, Derby is one of only two cities in the UK that exchanges envoys with one of its twin cities (Osnabrück).

Latest

Trending

Trending