Help needed. :) Watch

Jamsie_853
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi everyone, I'm going for Head Boy. I have to hand a photo into the school and they put it on the a leaflet which has 200 words discussing the skills I have and why I should be chosen, for the teachers to read. We also have to speak in front of the teachers for thirty seconds on why we would be right for the role. My campaign for students consists of questionnaries, powerpoints, interviews, lollies, badges and I will make a speech to people when they are on their frees.
The thing is though, the other two boys going for it are much more popular than me, so it's a slight doubt, but I might as well go for it, after all, it's great for experience. The teachers said not to focus on the policies, but I will mention them to the students on my frees.

My policies include:
Sectioning the library - part social and part independent working.
Refurbish the common room - Tables, chairs, a new dash of paint, inspirational posters, tow kettles and a microwave.
Teaching Assistant - A lot of our students this year want to get into teaching, so on our their frees, I think it would be beneficial to them if they went to teachers lessons, observed and assisted, so after a few weeks, they could even do part of the lesson.
Bike Shed - We've been meaning to get one for years, but no avail yet!
Focus Groups - Every other Wednesday afternoon, students would meet up on our enrichment porgramme and discuss what they want to do at uinversity, enhancing their knowledge and getting a healthy debate going.
Casual Fridays - Everyone wants this, and I think with enough push, it may go ahead.

I've also attached the photo, so please tell me what you think, it won'tl et me uplaod it in colour, so it is in grey.
Thanks very much guys.
Attached files
Kizz91
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Personally, I reckon you sound like a pefect candidate. Everything you suggested is sensible and in the best interests of the students. What are the other guys offering?
Anyway, who cares how popular they are? If you're propsing things that people want, they'll vote for you.
Wish we had had a system like that - all we had to do was nominate and vote! The head boy and girl are lovely people, but hopeless at getting things done.
Jamsie_853
Rep:
?
One of the other guys is offering the usual anti-bullying and anti-racism malarky, where there is a system already in place, he also wants a fish tank. The thing is Kizz, he is in the main group and they are all voting for him regardless of what he does. The other guy I do not know what he is doing, I think he may be doing casual fridays though. Thanks very much for the vote of confidence as well.
nothingspek
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sounds good. Both teachers and students vote? I'd bet that most the teachers would be voting on you.
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You sound very good, could have done with you at MY sixth form!!
Good luck, and tell us how you get on!
k9ruby
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You would get my vote!

I really want to run for head girl in Y13 next year. Anyone fancy giving some advice. I'm not one of the popular lot, always been a bit 'geeky' but not a complete and utter social outcast either!

Wiggler
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ah head boy/girl lol!! i won the election at my school a couple of years ago when i was in year 13... but i was denied by school management as they didn't tihnk i portrayed the right image the school wanted so ended up only being deputy head boy lol.. meh didnt bother me... meant i had less to do... best perk was having a master key to the school... it was soooooooo useful and fun innit
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Casual Fridays and common room refurb sound great ideas, so they should help you to get votes, especially from people who are easily swayed.

Unfortunately, it is very hard to get someone's friends to vote for someone else, but maybe you could use this to your advantage. Tap up every single one of your friends for a vote, and target "minorities" that are not interested in popularity, like "geeks" (I hate that word). You could find this has the potential to bring in a lot more votes.

Good luck! :yy:
Sick Puppy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wow do votes actually count at your school?! We all voted for our head girl but funnily enough the girl who all the teachers loved (and no one voted for) became head girl :rolleyes:
Wiggler
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sick Puppy)
Wow do votes actually count at your school?! We all voted for our head girl but funnily enough the girl who all the teachers loved (and no one voted for) became head girl :rolleyes:
lol yeah i know the feeling
~*~rAiNbOw~*~
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Popularity has little to do with whether someone gets voted as Head Girl/ Head Boy, in our school it was all dependent on the speech you gave infront of the rest of the school--its more to do with luck and how well you come across to the audience. Just make sure you don't screw up your speech on the day and try to be as confident as possible. Oh and Good Luck!!
Gooner
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jamsie_853)
Hi everyone, I'm going for Head Boy. I have to hand a photo into the school and they put it on the a leaflet which has 200 words discussing the skills I have and why I should be chosen, for the teachers to read. We also have to speak in front of the teachers for thirty seconds on why we would be right for the role. My campaign for students consists of questionnaries, powerpoints, interviews, lollies, badges and I will make a speech to people when they are on their frees.
The thing is though, the other two boys going for it are much more popular than me, so it's a slight doubt, but I might as well go for it, after all, it's great for experience. The teachers said not to focus on the policies, but I will mention them to the students on my frees.

My policies include:
Sectioning the library - part social and part independent working.
Refurbish the common room - Tables, chairs, a new dash of paint, inspirational posters, tow kettles and a microwave.
Teaching Assistant - A lot of our students this year want to get into teaching, so on our their frees, I think it would be beneficial to them if they went to teachers lessons, observed and assisted, so after a few weeks, they could even do part of the lesson.
Bike Shed - We've been meaning to get one for years, but no avail yet!
Focus Groups - Every other Wednesday afternoon, students would meet up on our enrichment porgramme and discuss what they want to do at uinversity, enhancing their knowledge and getting a healthy debate going.
Casual Fridays - Everyone wants this, and I think with enough push, it may go ahead.

I've also attached the photo, so please tell me what you think, it won'tl et me uplaod it in colour, so it is in grey.
Thanks very much guys.
You've some very good ideas there.

Don't worry too much about this being a popularity contest either; the teachers in particular (if they get to vote) will vote for the person who they feel will do a better job as head boy. Why would they vote for somebody who wants a fish tank for example?

When you have to present your speech make sure you speak with conviction and show you want the role. Speaking with passion and conviction throughout will make you a sure contender.

Good luck!
Jamsie_853
Rep:
?
Well my campaigns going fantastically!
Not.

I would never dream of sabotaging another candidates posters and what have you, I have been brought up to respect and appreciate others and show good sportsmanship. I put in what I felt was an effective way to campaign, having vote James around the computers so people would see them. The favourite if you like came in with his cronies and a few of them went around and took all of them out and threw them in the bin, I found this out when I visited the library again where I placed them. I did it once more, but then they just did it again and laughed at the posters I had put up of me.
I also did a vote for me poster in the common room, only for that to be de-faced and have 'don't' written above it. I maybe making a mountain out of a molehill, but I would not do that to someone elses work and effort to try and get elected in.
I'll keep going, I won't get in but I'll just keep putting up vote James everywhere to really annoy him and his idiots.
Wiggler
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
good luck dude
>Anna<
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wouldn't worry if I were you. You'r policies are good and, in my experience, people tend to vote for the candidate that they think will actually DO stuff rather than those who are popular but really lazy. Even if your opposition is nasty, it doesn't mean that all the voters are too.
If he's like that then the likelihood is that there will be quite a few people that don't like him.

Good luck!
Mr Nonsense
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
a few things - dof the top button up on your shirt in the photo and tie up --> it looks better

what is a casual friday involve?

and people (from what i find) do not vote on policies or anything like that but instead who is their friend and who they can associate with (i.e. people in one group vote for candidate in same group - such as sports people, emos, 'geeks', eyc.)

but nonetheless good luck to you!
Jamsie_853
Rep:
?
Well guys I got deputy head, which is still good.
Bittersweet though, I found out I was ONE vote short, he pipped me(the popular one) by ONE vote. He got 54, I got 53.
But thanks everyone all the same.
v1oXx-
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jamsie_853)
Well guys I got deputy head, which is still good.
Bittersweet though, I found out I was ONE vote short, he pipped me(the popular one) by ONE vote. He got 54, I got 53.
But thanks everyone all the same.
Aww unlucky mate
k9ruby
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Perhaps he feels the need to do that because he feels threatened?
Mr Nonsense
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
unlucky but still well done on getting deputy head - congratulations!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.32%
No - but I will (74)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (69)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (475)
48.17%

Watched Threads