foods to avoid for good skin? Watch

m8nmina0h4
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I have quite bad skin, for one it's incredibly oily in the t-zone despite having tried and spent a lot of money on various branded products, but not only that I also have loads of small spost and bumps that are only visible in sunlight, but when I am in sunlight, it looks terrible!

I'm 16 and vegetarian, so I guess it can be down to hormones but I'm worried it isn't and my skin will always be like this so was wondering if changing my diet could help..

Can anyone list specific (vegetarian) foods to avoid to have good skin?

Thanks
Juggy123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
pizza, chips generally oiley foods such as mayonaise nuts. As your from india id recommened neem soaps? if you havnt herd ov it try (Y) hope that helps
Jabbamuffin
Badges: 1
Report 10 years ago
Personally I avoid eating too much sugary food like chocolate/sweets and drinking fizzy drinks.

I think crisps and other salty/fatty junk foods have an effect as well.

Point is, just avoid excessive consumption of foods that are bad for you, otherwise they are going to have a negative effect on your body.
Mr Otter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Juggy123)
pizza, chips generally oiley foods such as mayonaise nuts. As your from india id recommened neem soaps? if you havnt herd ov it try (Y) hope that helps
Oh?
Cattleman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, everybody's body is different so it may be different things for you..

But for me my skin will get worse if I eat:

Too much cheese
Sugar
Fried foods

Obviously you also need to be asking what foods you DO need to eat in order to maintain good skin quality -

So naturally lots of leafy green vegetables, fruits but still keeping the diet mixed and varied.

I also take vitamin C and zinc supplements which are supposed to help.

Anti spot products generally won't work as they focus on the symptoms rather than the cause. Save your money.
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've found diet has no effect. I'm eating better now than I ever have done before and my skin is no better as a result.
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Drink lots of water. Avoid white bread, eat brown bread. Avoid fatty foods (though fish and nuts are good).
kookoo_koochoo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Milk. Milk, if you have spots/acne, is supposed to be the only contributing factor food wise to it. Other than that, I suppose oily foods. Get more vitamin C foods, like coloured peppers, oranges, lemon and that, vitamin C is great for your skin.
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As has been said, avoid too much dairy. Not good for the complexion.
m8nmina0h4
Rep:
?
My Mum practically forces me to drink a glass of milk each morning and I have in fact read before that it is bad for you, but she says I need it for calcium..

As a vegetarian, what foods can I eat to make up for calcium if I stop having dairy products?

Thanks
kookoo_koochoo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by KnightRider)
My Mum practically forces me to drink a glass of milk each morning and I have in fact read before that it is bad for you, but she says I need it for calcium..

As a vegetarian, what foods can I eat to make up for calcium if I stop having dairy products?

Thanks
Calcium tablets. Calcium enriched soya/rice/oat milk.
m8nmina0h4
Rep:
?
(Original post by kookoo_koochoo)
Calcium tablets. Calcium enriched soya/rice/oat milk.
any foods?
kookoo_koochoo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by KnightRider)
any foods?
It looks like mostly you get it from dairy but there is some other stuff on this website:
http://www.bchealthguide.org/healthfiles/hfile68e.stm

I have to say though, I turned vegan about 4 months ago and I've seen no difference in my skin whatsoever. And I used to eat a lot of dairy, so it's not guaranteed to make any difference.
thanette
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
spinach has calcium it it (I know, yak..)
Antonia87
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Food with high sugar/oil/fat content wont help your skin at all. Eat lots of greens and try to stay away from greasy fried food - only settle for as natural food as possible.

Up your water intake. I've never had a spot in my entire life and I put this down to the fact I love my water. It flushes out toxins and is essential for clear skin. Water also rids other annoyances, such as cellulite.

If you smoke, quit. Smoking will make your skin dull and grey.
JB26
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've heard that eating fatty foods etc has no impact on spots/acne etc. And not just from hearsay, ive read articles which claim that it has no impact. Though i'm not sure about milk.. ive started drinking a lot of it and it hasn't impacted me?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (308)
37.47%
No - but I will (64)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (61)
7.42%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (389)
47.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise