UCAS Convention- Disapointing... Watch

k9ruby
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Who else found the ucas convention today rather dissapointing?

It was at birmingham, it thundered and too many people were cramped in too little rooms

I also found the main hall really overloading. It was too crowded, noisy, smelly and got a bit too much.

raspberrybubbles
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They're all like that, I'm glad I missed out on Manchester because it sounded like pure hell!
francescarella
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by raspberrybubbles)
They're all like that, I'm glad I missed out on Manchester because it sounded like pure hell!
i went to the manchester one last year. it was like a scary cattle market.
but as it turns out two of my final application choices were found there (royal holloway and queen mary). so it did actually help me. all they do really is give out prospectuses so its not really a big deal if u miss out.
username124534
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It was so uninformative. Just a bunch of guys eating sandwiches with tables full of prospectuses I already had.

We played a fun game of 'collect the pens' and 'pick the stupidest course available and make your friend attempt to convince the bored-looking-guy behind the stall that it is your lifelong passion whilst you time them on how long you can make a conversation about a course you can't pronounce'. [maybe the title needs work.]

Fun times.
JasiClai
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I didn't think the UCAS Convention at Birmingham wasn't too bad but I do agree at first, it was just completely impossible to actually move rather than take in anything. It got better at the end but it did really lack seating, me and my friend were told to move twice!
srwences
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jadedwords)
It was so uninformative. Just a bunch of guys eating sandwiches with tables full of prospectuses I already had.

We played a fun game of 'collect the pens' and 'pick the stupidest course available and make your friend attempt to convince the bored-looking-guy behind the stall that it is your lifelong passion whilst you time them on how long you can make a conversation about a course you can't pronounce'. [maybe the title needs work.]

Fun times.
Ha ha. Sounds familiar. The one for Hertfordshire wasn't as crowded as you might imagine, so not so bad - but convincing Portsmouth uni's woman that I spoke fluent Erdu was quite entertaining. She was genuinely perturbed that they didn't offer a course on it at Pompey.
k9ruby
Rep:
?
Originally Posted by jadedwords

Fun times.

It was quite funny because my friend saw this really posh kid go up to the Cambridge stand and said 'So how does one pay for all this?"

I'm sorry but I sought of cracked up on that

Oh yes! The freebies game:

Memory stick: 50 points
Frisbee : 40 points
Sweets : 30 points
Bag: 20 points
Prospectus: 10 points
Pen: 5 points.

:P
rachd_22
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Went to the one at UCLAN last year... got the bus back to college and then had a 2 mile walk home ladelled with far too many prospectuses to carry. Think it took twice as long to get home that day!
honey_monster
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not sure if you mean the Birmingham Uni open day, but I went to that and it was really crowded but alright- I liked the amount of free pens available, i'm just a sucker for free stuff
Applied Golf Studies, anyone?
And we found a photo of my psychology teachers in this booklet on education :p:
honey_monster
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rachd_22)
Went to the one at UCLAN last year... got the bus back to college and then had a 2 mile walk home ladelled with far too many prospectuses to carry. Think it took twice as long to get home that day!
Oh, lord, we had this Higher Education thing at a local uni, the amount of prospectuses I picked up had me in absolute AGONY on the walk through town and way home (a bus wasn't provided to take our year back) :rolleyes:
abc101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oo, I remember the 'Higher Education Fair' or whatever it was. The morning off school, that was good. The promise of freebies, also good. The reality - not so good!

At first it was alright, just wandering round picking up prospectuses from every stall and seeing if anyone had any freebies (a coupla stalls had pens, bookmarks, lollipops but that was about it) - after that me and my friend just went and sat down for ages because we were absolutely shattered from lugging heavy prospectuses round in a crappy carrier bag and there's nothing else to do! Got a splitting headache from it all too

Then when we got back to school most of the prospectuses ended up torn up and littered around the common room
MOWD
Report 10 years ago
I was at Birmingham too - got rained on. The whole day was really just a bit pointless, the only reason to go was to pick up prospectuses, and you can get them online.
k9ruby
Rep:
?
I was at Birmingham too - got rained on. The whole day was really just a bit pointless, the only reason to go was to pick up prospectuses, and you can get them online.
I know...
becky.fm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rachd_22)
I was meant to go to that this year.. urm, i didn't.. :p:
Pigeon Explosion
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The Birmingham convention was fun, wandered around aimlessly and somehow managed to get lost, and bumped into a girl I met a year ago and ended up tagging along with her
Harvesting prospectuses is much more fun than getting them off the internet. The best part was when I found a Bristol prospectus in a big box labeled 'UNWANTED PROSPECTUSES. Haha, it's MINE now!
Wiggler
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i went to one of these a few years ago and just spend the day collecting as much random free crap as possible
ciaranfleck
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We had to go to the one in Belfast last year. But we ended up going for 5 mins.. getting as many free pens as possible.. and leaving..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (427)
37.75%
No - but I will (87)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (76)
6.72%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (541)
47.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise