How does the media know how people voted? Watch

satsun
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
This is just for my general knowledge. I keep hearing 1/3 of Labour voters voted Leave, etc. How do they know this, when you just turn up and don’t declare your vote?
GCSE_beginner
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They must have done surveys of voters leading up to or during the referendum, asking them whether they wanted o leave or remain in the EU and then established who voted Labour or Conservative from there.
GCSE_beginner
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I honestly don't know;this is what I could think of
satsun
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
They just seem so sure, it doesn’t sound like opinion polling, it sounds like fact.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Surveys, opinion polls, there are ways.

On the days of actual elections there are exit polls, too.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It’s a conspiracy. We are all secretly subjects of the Holy Roman Empire and the world overlord is Ronald McDonald.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by satsun)
This is just for my general knowledge. I keep hearing 1/3 of Labour voters voted Leave, etc. How do they know this, when you just turn up and don’t declare your vote?
They don't know. They extrapolate from surveys. polls etc. As they later dig down into the figures, they may find that the first impressions are wrong. The latest idea is that Labour did very well with Remain voters in Leave seats.
GCSE_beginner
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
They don't know. They extrapolate from surveys. polls etc. As they later dig down into the figures, they may find that the first impressions are wrong. The latest idea is that Labour did very well with Remain voters in Leave seats.
So facts like these keep changing regularly?
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by GCSE_beginner)
Certainly, there is vast amounts of research on survey design , phrasing of questions, even order of questions, a badly designed survey can "lead" respondents to desired answers. Am sure someone on here with an actual Stats degree can expand but even as part of first year stats at university I covered some of this (albeit a long time ago) . I seem to recall there were "funnel" questions which if badly designed exerted pressure on the subject to answer a particular way based on the earlier questions asked.

Of course the modelling is likely a lot more sophisticated these days, social media playing a significant part and different companies using diverging methodologies, which may be why polls these days seem to contradict one another so much.

We should never just ignore statistical analysis but we should be very cautious accepting without question the conclusions drawn from the data, flaws do get missed. (see recent Naomi Woolf controversy re data possibly/likely being misunderstood as an example)
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by GCSE_beginner)
On DJKL's point there is a famous sketch from Yes Prime Minister that is as relevant today as when it was made more than 30 years ago.

DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
On DJKL's point there is a famous sketch from Yes Prime Minister that is as relevant today as when it was made more than 30 years ago.

Thanks-spot on, I had forgotten that clip but perfect illustration of the art of the possible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (13)
27.08%
Spring (8)
16.67%
Autumn/Fall (13)
27.08%
Winter (8)
16.67%
I love them all equally (6)
12.5%