Some Advice Needed On Working With Clients Watch

cascadingstylez
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Right now I am stressed out!

I am developing a website for a client. We met last week and discussed everything.

Basically I am a very pride concious developer and I feel what she is asking for is going against usability and accessability. I don't want to go into details really but the whole project just feels like a mess and I know the outcome is not going to show my best ability.

For example its a small company promoting up and coming singers and artists. I have seen it done a million times. Now she wants me to create various advertising spots on the page but to me a site promoting singers shouldn't be focused around making money and throwing adverts in peoples faces.

Another thing. She wants a 200px x 200px media player, that can play movies on every page and wants it squeezed in with the page. It is going to look an absolute mess!!!
I have advised her and told her it wont work but she thinks it will.

The whole thing will look tacky.

I know the client knows best when it comes to what the client wants but the messyness of the project is doing my head in.

What would you do? Just do the job, collect the cash and forget about it? I just value my own pride and the user experience. I feel sorry for the users using it. I am going to be ashamed of saying I developed that!
imtired
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do what she wants, take the cash and forget about it. If you care that much about it don't put it on your portfolio.
-Em-
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Work with what you've got. So long as the core content is accessible and presented in a user-friendly manner, you've got nothing to worry about as regards your own integrity. If the client wants to scare users off with adverts, so be it.
laser
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Give your professional opinion on these requirements in an honest, but professional way explaining exactly why you believe it to be a bad idea. If the client still persists, then just do the best job you can within the requirements, and that's that.

At the end of the day, customers think they know what they want, but they often don't, that's why if you're freelancing, a very important skill to have is the ability to be able to translate what the customer tells you they want, into what they actually want.
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Make the website as she's telling you to, then charge her more when she realises it looks crap and wants to change it.
Hedger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Everyone has their own opinion, unfortunately this time, her opinion is the only one that matters since she's paying you.
ThePants999
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Refusing to put in advertising spots is like agreeing to build a fairground but refusing to put in ticket booths because you think entertainment should be free. It's not your place to tell her how to run her business.
guitarromantic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by laser)
Give your professional opinion on these requirements in an honest, but professional way explaining exactly why you believe it to be a bad idea. If the client still persists, then just do the best job you can within the requirements, and that's that.

At the end of the day, customers think they know what they want, but they often don't, that's why if you're freelancing, a very important skill to have is the ability to be able to translate what the customer tells you they want, into what they actually want.
Yep.

I work on a magazine designing (amongst the magazine itself) a lot of our clients' adverts. Quite often I'll get a very vague brief, mock something up that (I think) looks fantastic, then the client will say "err, actually, I want something really simple, just the text and a photo in a white box." I mean, fair enough, it's their money, but sometimes people don't give a **** about 'professional opinion' - they're only paying you because you have the technical skills to produce onscreen what they see in their mind. In that kind of situation you may as well keep your mouth shut and give them what they want and move onto the next one.
Baron
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If I was you, I would do some paper-prototyping. At least, then you don't have to make the whole site and the user will be much better placed to see what the finished product would likely look like.

From my personal experience, I've found paper-prototyping one of the more useful tools for requirements gathering.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (236)
39.2%
No - but I will (41)
6.81%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.48%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (280)
46.51%

Watched Threads