felix1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm currently applying for mathematics at Scottish universities for second year entry. Currently I am in S6 and have achieved 3 Advanced Highers over S4 and S5. However I was recently emailed by a university saying that I must have achieved AAA at Advanced Higher the first year I ever sat an Advanced Higher. In other words since I did only 1 Advanced Higher in S4 instead of 3 I am now ineligible for second year entry. Even if I did 3 this year in S6.

I can assure you that this is not a misunderstanding on my part, after multiple clarifications from the university admissions officer.

This seems ridiculous and I am wondering if it would be a good idea to email someone higher up in the admissions process?

Thanks
Snookdoggy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello felix1234,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and it does sound quite troubling. It seems as though you are being penalised for taking subjects early, which doesn't make much sense! Universities are usually fighting over those types of applicants, and so I believe that it is a bad judgement call on behalf of the admissions team. Can I ask, which university was it that told you this? It'd help me try and understand how to point you in the right direction.

I'm sure there will be other universities who would take someone like you. For example, Dundee University says that they require AB at Advanced Higher, with Mathematics at an A, alongside AB at Higher. For the University of Edinburgh, they require AAA to include Mathematics with a further science subject recommended. There is no mention of it being over one sitting.

I hope this helps, and I hope you get your situation sorted. There are plenty of universities who would take someone like you, so shop around!

Good luck!
Nessie162
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
They're all fussy when it comes to first sittings unfortunately, people had the same problem 5 years ago when I was applying. Edinburgh seemed to be the worst one. There's no going around it unfortunately :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (153)
53.31%
18-20 years old (no) (35)
12.2%
20-25 years old (yes) (46)
16.03%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.39%
25-30 years old (yes) (19)
6.62%