ughfetjgero
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi there!I'm hoping to apply for pgde primary but I'm worried my chances are pretty slim for getting in

I meet all the academic requirements and have a 2:1 in psychology. I've volunteered at brownies since September last year but I've only just managed to secure some primary school experience as I've worked full time since leaving uni. I start next week so by around January the application deadline I should have around 50 or so hours (8 days) but I'm worried this isn't enough.

I've had some other experience in the past but it's been secondary school (I taught English in India for a year to 16 year old, I was a classroom assistant 3 days a week in high school, and I was a learning support assistant 1 day a week in high school. Bearing in mind this was 7 years ago!)

Primary teaching is something I've only recently realised I wanted to do through volunteering with the brownies, but I'm worried my limited experience will set me back. Can anyone shed light on whether this is the case, or do I have a chance if I have a really good personal statement and reflect on my experience properly?

Would love to hear people's thoughts!

Thanks
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
First of all, teaching applications are done on a rolling basis- if you're applying for a post-grad course, the January deadline doesn't apply to you!

8 days of experience + brownies will probably be enough- there will be people who don't apply with that much experience. However, it sounds like you are picking up experience a few hours at a time, which doesn't give you as much insight into what the day to day life of a primary teacher is like. Is there any change of you taking some annual leave from work and shadowing a primary teacher for a day or two?

I'd say apply in January and see what happens- remember that you'll be interviewed for all teaching courses, and tutors are looking for your potential as well as your existing experience. If you don't get any places in your first round of applications, you can keep applying to one course at a time through "apply 2"- so you can keep applying as you build up more experience.
Amira2497
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm hoping to apply for my PGCE within the next week as although I know courses are usually open all year round I don't want to risk it incase the Universities I want to go to get full up. I only had very limited experience working with children so I recently completed two weeks in a primary school. I also thought I didn't have enough but when I spoke to my teaching adviser, he said its more than enough and in the past they've actually had students on these courses who have had NO primary school experience .... so your 8 days should be fine. However when you do your statement after you've included your most recent experience you could say you plan on getting more through the year before the course begins and that way they know your plans. Hope this helps
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Amira2497)
I'm hoping to apply for my PGCE within the next week as although I know courses are usually open all year round I don't want to risk it incase the Universities I want to go to get full up. I only had very limited experience working with children so I recently completed two weeks in a primary school. I also thought I didn't have enough but when I spoke to my teaching adviser, he said its more than enough and in the past they've actually had students on these courses who have had NO primary school experience .... so your 8 days should be fine. However when you do your statement after you've included your most recent experience you could say you plan on getting more through the year before the course begins and that way they know your plans. Hope this helps
Just as an FYI, uni courses won't fill up this early. Smaller SCITT and schools direct courses may fill up early in the application cycle, but uni based ones honestly don't fill up that quickly- unis also know they will get more applicants later in the year so won't want to fill up too quickly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (198)
19.22%
Labour (438)
42.52%
Liberal Democrats (200)
19.42%
Green Party (54)
5.24%
Brexit Party (27)
2.62%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.39%
SNP (15)
1.46%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.97%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.19%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (3)