Integration - FP2 Watch

Wish
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
\int \frac{7x}{\sqrt{16-x^4}} \ \mathrm{d}x

Using substitution u = x^2 to obtain \frac 72 \int \frac 1{\sqrt{16 - u^2}} \ \mathrm{d}u.

Arcsin Rule: \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2 - x^2}} \ \mathrm{d}x = \mathrm{arcsin}\left(\frac{x}{a}  \right)

Gives me answer \frac72 \mathrm{arcsin}\left(\frac{x^2}{  4}\right)

But according to integrator, it is \csc ^{-1}. http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.j...9&random=false

Whats wrong?
insparato
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What does it say in the book ? Shouldn't it give you the answer  \frac{7}{2} arcsin \frac{x^2}{4} ? Apart from that it looks fine to me.
Wish
Rep:
?
(Original post by insparato)
What does it say in the book ? Shouldn't it give you the answer  \frac{7}{2} arcsin \frac{x^2}{4} ? Apart from that it looks fine to me.

Sorry, typo, I meant  \frac{7}{2} arcsin \frac{x^2}{4} . Integrator is giving a different answer.
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Wish)
\int \frac{7x}{\sqrt{16-x^4}} \ \mathrm{d}x

Using substitution u = x^2 to obtain \frac 72 \int \frac 1{\sqrt{16 - u^2}} \ \mathrm{d}u.

Arcsin Rule: \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2 - x^2}} \ \mathrm{d}x = \mathrm{arcsin}\left(\frac{x}{a}  \right)

Gives me answer \frac72 \mathrm{arcsin}\left(\frac{4}{x^  2}\right)

But according to integrator, it is \csc ^{-1}. http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.j...9&random=false

Whats wrong?
Don't you mean 7/2 arcsin(x^2 / 4)? :confused:

It can also be written in the way integrator wrote it. It's the same thing - check by differentiating both if you don't believe it. After all, if sin y = a then cosec y = 1/a, so arcsin(a) = arccosec(1/a). Put a = x^2 / 4...

Edit: typo.
DavyS
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
cosec(x) = sin(1/x)
Edit: Duh..

\mathrm{arccosec}x = \mathrm{arcsin}(\frac{1}{x})

Therefore, your answer, after insparato's correction, and the integrators are equivalent.
Wish
Rep:
?
Got it, Thanks!
insparato
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Aha, Interesting. Never come across that before.
Zii
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DavyS)
cosec(x) = sin(1/x)

Therefore, your answer, after insparato's correction, and the integrators are equivalent.
Erm, no.

\mathrm{cosec}x \not= \mathrm{sin}(\frac{1}{x}), \mathrm{cosec}x = \frac{1}{\mathrm{sin}x}.
DavyS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zii)
Erm, no.

\mathrm{cosec}x \not= \mathrm{sin}(\frac{1}{x}), \mathrm{cosec}x = \frac{1}{\mathrm{sin}x}.
-hits self on head very hard-

You should have been able to pick up my error from the context, no?

generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DavyS)
-hits self on head very hard-

You should have been able to pick up my error from the context, no?

Problem is that helpers often get irritated when other helpers correct them, because it was only a silly mistake. You knew what you were talking about as much as the person who corrected you, but occasionally that can confuse the people who were asking for help in the first place. Remember who you're helping here.
DavyS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
Problem is that helpers often get irritated when other helpers correct them, because it was only a silly mistake. You knew what you were talking about as much as the person who corrected you, but occasionally that can confuse the people who were asking for help in the first place. Remember who you're helping here.
Oh, I didn't mean to come across as annoyed at all. I totally understand the confusion I could have caused and stuff, and that was honestly just a stupid mistake which I corrected as soon as it came to my attention.

That was less an outcry at all those with the audacity to correct me, than an admission of stupidity and not checking my post well enough :P
Zii
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DavyS)
Oh, I didn't mean to come across as annoyed at all. I totally understand the confusion I could have caused and stuff, and that was honestly just a stupid mistake which I corrected as soon as it came to my attention.

That was less an outcry at all those with the audacity to correct me, than an admission of stupidity and not checking my post well enough :P
Yeah don't worry about it, I just like correcting people. Hell, I get corrected often enough!

Silly mistakes are the worst :p: .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (179)
39.51%
No - but I will (25)
5.52%
No - I don't want to (32)
7.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (217)
47.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise