UKCAT Help please! Watch

Danielisew
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I just tried the practice test from the site and it is really annoying.

Firstly, to mark it, you have to write down your answers because the stupid thing doesn´t mark the test itself, therefore you waste time.

Secondly, the timing is insane! How are you meant to read or even skim through all these passages in such a short time with 44 questions?? I think it is impossible..do you guess half the questions? I had a minute left when I was on question 33 or so out of 44 and didn´t even guess the rest in time to get to the next section!

When I did mark the section, I got like 19/44, which is just terrible...

How the heck do you do this test with the minimal time they give you, what is the strategy of doing it?

Thanks
kookoo_koochoo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the timing can't be helped, it's how it's been made. I just found that anything I was spending toolong on, I guessed and moved on and if I had enough time then I went back to it later on, which I did for the decoding section and the shapes section but not at all for the maths one. In fact for the maths, I said I would foloow that strategy and leave the last minute to just randomly guess and click anything on the questions cos I knew I couldn't do anything in that little time and it's not negatively marked either... You just need to keep practising cos the timing is a real *****.
zedliv
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Everybody finds it like that. Just know that you will find the real test the same (except for the computer marking it for you) and everyone else does to. The score you get is not really based on if you get 90% right you get 90%. It's how well you do compared to a test group. Since almost everbody runs out of time, it doesn't really matter. Just do your best and hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised with your score
Danielisew
Rep:
?
But I have been doing absolutely terrible in this practice test from their site.. For example the abstract bit I got 18/65 on...! Even the decision I got only 11/26 on! I have the test on Monday and I am doing terribly! I seriously think this test is impossible and you cannot answer all those maths questions with such a lot to read and work out in that time! It IS impossible!
kookoo_koochoo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Danielisew)
But I have been doing absolutely terrible in this practice test from their site.. For example the abstract bit I got 18/65 on...! Even the decision I got only 11/26 on! I have the test on Monday and I am doing terribly! I seriously think this test is impossible and you cannot answer all those maths questions with such a lot to read and work out in that time! It IS impossible!
You're not the only one who feels like that, but don't go in with that attitude it just adds to the stress and will not help you. Just forget that it's a timed exam and do what you can, and relax.
Danielisew
Rep:
?
I am sorry but I cannot help but be stressed as hell right now after getting those scores! Do universities take the test quite importantly? I can just imagine myself getting the results and it would be like "Average: 200" !

I am really worried and suicidal now
kookoo_koochoo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am sorry but I cannot help but be stressed as hell right now after getting those scores! Do universities take the test quite importantly? I can just imagine myself getting the results and it would be like "Average: 200" !

I am really worried and suicidal now
well it's one of the things that the university looks at when they assess your application, yes. I know how you feel... I can't offer any advice except to calm down a bit lol even though I know that's hard, I felt like you the first time i took it and I ended up with 583 average. So all hope might not be lost.
Danielisew
Rep:
?
I just did the short test and could only mark my answers other than the quantitive section because the answers were not labelled with the corresponding letter.. I worked out that on average I would have got 612/900 on the other three sections.

Why is this short test so much easier than the practice test? Is the actual exam more similar to one of them?

Also, is it best to read questions first? For example the verbal reasoning, should you read the statement before reading the passage - which is the most efficient way to do it? Same with the maths..do you read the data first or the question?

Thanks
isi333
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Also, is it best to read questions first? For example the verbal reasoning, should you read the statement before reading the passage - which is the most efficient way to do it? Same with the maths..do you read the data first or the question?
That's just personal technique. I don't read questions first, but I think most people do.

The timing is very tough, but just be strict with yourself - go far faster than you are comfortable doing so and move quickly on if you get stuck. As recommended above, give yourself a minute at the end to fill in the questions you didn't do with random answers.

I don't think you can predict your score; as stated on your other thread, half marks doesn't seem to scale to 450/900.
rjprobert
Report 10 years ago
I just did the short test and could only mark my answers other than the quantitive section because the answers were not labelled with the corresponding letter.. I worked out that on average I would have got 612/900 on the other three sections.

Why is this short test so much easier than the practice test? Is the actual exam more similar to one of them?

Thanks
try the free questions at
http://www.onexamination.com/ukcat/P...aspx?tid=UKCAT
theres great feedback on where youve gone wrong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (260)
38.92%
No - but I will (45)
6.74%
No - I don't want to (49)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (314)
47.01%

Watched Threads