Manchester/Any Other Medical Courses Watch

jseldis
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi everyone.
I've been looking around lately for a little on the more in-depth structure of the medical course at Manchester or other unis - the only guide on this i have is from the little colour-coded calendar course structure things. But they're not exactly detailed.

So what was the first few weeks like for everyone?
I'm particularly interested in Manchester as it's PBL and wanna know what happens by way of practical anatomy?

Thanks in advance guys
Josh
x
theatrical
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The first four weeks is an introduction to PBL. You're basically trained how to do PBL by way of two practise cases. You also have various lectures etc and begin labs.

Anatomy is taught through weekly dissection sessions, beginning in week one when you and the rest of your PBL group "meet" your body. The next few weeks are mostly taken up with basic anatomy, so prosections, bones, histology etc. After the four week intro period is over you begin PBL Case 1 (8 cases in the first semester, 9 in the second) and the dissection sessions each week reflect the current case. Even though you only get one dissection session each week, there is a resource centre within the Dissection Room which you can access 9-5 monday-friday, with lots of prossections, slides, info etc.
jseldis
Rep:
?
Oh, right. Thanks alot for the information.
How are you finding PBL? I'm really interested by the concept.
I'm not sure, also, what a prossection is?
theatrical
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A prosection is a structure that has already been dissected to show relevant parts/detail.

I like PBL. My previous degree was lecture-based and I definately prefer the PBL method of learning. I guess it takes a bit more motivation to keep up with the work and there's always a bit of doubt about whether you're going into too much/too little depth at the beginning, but there's plenty of guidance and you soon get used to it.
jseldis
Rep:
?
Oh, right. I don't know whether i like the idea of prossection or not. At the moment, i'm pretty sure i'd rather do it myself. It wouldn't be as good. But i would have thought you'd learn more about textures etc.

I'm quite motivated...but yeah, i never go into the right amount of detail, whether it's too much or too little. I'd be pretty happy to do it though, and as i understand Manchester is pretty much 100% PBL?
I do like the idea.
What year are you into then? I'm dreading not getting in because i really don't have a backup plan!
space_aura
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jseldis)
Oh, right. I don't know whether i like the idea of prossection or not. At the moment, i'm pretty sure i'd rather do it myself. It wouldn't be as good.
well to be honest you do perform some of it yourself, but it doesn't matter whether or not the demonstrators do it, as long as you make sure you look at the details. To be honest its quite a good idea to book a post mortem at the MRI which you may find a little gruesome to start with, but I found it helped reinforce what we had learnt in anatomy in a "fresh" body.

(Original post by jseldis)
I'm quite motivated...but yeah, i never go into the right amount of detail, whether it's too much or too little.
your Mummies and Daddies who look after you at the start should (well ours did) give you lots of guidance with how much detail to go in and what books to get. Because you are working with 10 other people you should get a good idea pretty quickly whether you have done enough work or not enough, and your tutor should help you in this respect as well.

good luck though hope to see you there soon!
jseldis
Rep:
?
Ooh, year 1? Do you like it?
Oh, and where are you staying accomodation-wise?

That all sounds pretty cool. I'm very tempted by the post-mortem - i wanted to be a forensic pathologist for ages.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.82%
No - but I will (114)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (102)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (690)
47.36%

Watched Threads