This discussion is closed.
90LucyRocks123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have just received an email from elsewhere evidence, claiming that they were doing a "sample check" to see where you live. It will ask for a screenshot of your bank statements and your address, IT IS A SCAM be careful, they even had the correct student reference number, but its a lie. BE super Careful people. x
Shazrussell
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 90LucyRocks123)
I have just received an email from elsewhere evidence, claiming that they were doing a "sample check" to see where you live. It will ask for a screenshot of your bank statements and your address, IT IS A SCAM be careful, they even had the correct student reference number, but its a lie. BE super Careful people. x
Oh my god really?! I’ve just posted a question about this. I’ve been crying thinking I commit Fraud accidentally. How do you know it’s a scam?
90LucyRocks123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I noticed that there were no and I mean no traces it of it anywhere on the internet, I study computing and had a little dig. on my student finance account and there is normally a record of them sending me an email. It’s all rubbish. I thought I’d done something wrong too!! Honestly was so lucky I just had a deeper look. There’s lots of fake “verified” SFE Helper accounts on student room telling you it’s legit too, but it isn’t. Be so very careful !
Last edited by 90LucyRocks123; 1 month ago
Shazrussell
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 90LucyRocks123)
I noticed that there were no and I mean no traces it of it anywhere on the internet, I study computing and had a little dig. on my student finance account and there is normally a record of them sending me an email. It’s all rubbish. I thought I’d done something wrong too!! Honestly was so lucky I just had a deeper look. There’s lots of fake “verified” SFE Helper accounts on student room telling you it’s legit too, but it isn’t. Be so very careful !
I noticed that In this email they said dear “surname” but in my other emails from student finance they say dead “first name”. Also there wasn’t a student finance England logo in the corner. Also I would have thought they’d want people to send the documents physically not send screenshots etc because your birth certificate etc you have to send physically. I’m going to ring student finance in morning cause they might not be aware of it. I googled elsewhere evidence and that seems to be a real thing but I couldn’t find anything about the emails specifically
LucyRose6
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Please forward this to [email protected] so they can look into it! That’s what I did with mine and I tweeted SFE about it too, since I’ve never heard of it before after 3 years and all of the posts I am seeing are on here, within the last month. If enough of us do this hopefully they will put out a statement like the others I have seen/been sent by my university.
Gennalauren
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't think it's a scam, I've been selected for a sample check & I contacted student finance to confirm it was legit
Last edited by Gennalauren; 1 month ago
KayKarma
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gennalauren)
I don't think it's a scam, I've been selected for a sample check & I contacted student finance to confirm it was legit
Did they actually say it was legit?
Gennalauren
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KayKarma)
Did they actually say it was legit?
Spoiler:
Show
Yes, I've sent off 2 tax credit letters & 12 months bank statements..
KayKarma
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Spoiler:
Show
Yeah I spoke to them too, it really is legit lmao
Gennalauren
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by KayKarma)
Yeah I spoke to them too, it really is legit lmao
Those who ignore it will have their funding stopped 🙈
Jessicanm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The email is real. I just contacted student finance directly and they confirmed, the company sending the email is not student finance england its the student loans company which is where your loan comes from. Go on student finance website if you need to be sure and get a number directly from them and call them and ask. They will tell you the same, theres been a random check of about 40,000 students.
Meganfrost123
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’ve had a letter sent in the post now and am unsure if to do so as it says a reference number and my name? Is it legit
Charlotwhiteing
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I got the email and a text but it just seems weird and fishy. I don't want to send random companies bank details
Jiiny
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Everyone, don’t listen to the people on this thread claiming that’s its real. If you look at all of their accounts, they were just made this month and the only posts they have are about the elsewhere evidence email. They’re probably part of the scam.
Last edited by Jiiny; 3 weeks ago
Jessicanm
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Meganfrost123)
I’ve had a letter sent in the post now and am unsure if to do so as it says a reference number and my name? Is it legit
I recieved a letter too and now they have reaccessed my student finance. I keep telling people if theh dont believe me contact student finance directly yourself without clicking any of the links that have been sent or anything in the letters and ask them , that way you know youre not falling into a scam and you get a legit answer, thats what i did and they told me its legit but do it for yourself
Matt314
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Im shaky because everything points to it being 100% a scam but then i see the reps commenting its legit? how easy is it to become a rep on this site
Deas1995
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Its real i recieved at letter
Gennalauren
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Jiiny)
Everyone, don’t listen to the people on this thread claiming that’s its real. If you look at all of their accounts, they were just made this month and the only posts they have are about the elsewhere evidence email. They’re probably part of the scam.
Part of the scam?🤣 Do you have something to hide? Why don't you just ring student loans company yourself
Igotbbcalevel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
can you post a picture of the fake email
digitaljunki3
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Student finance are doing a random elsewhere sample check. They are asking for evidence to prove you’re actually living elsewhere and if you don’t reply, your application will be reassessed for parental rate maintenance loan which is less overall for the year. Anyone not comfortable sending a screenshot of their bank statement can instead attach a receipt from the accommodation or landlord showing a payment was made. Send that along with your contact and you will be fine and a bank statement won’t be required.

If you aren’t sure and want to check before sending evidence then call student finance as your account will be noted to confirm if you’re part of the sample check.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (365)
44.57%
No (86)
10.5%
I'm not old enough (368)
44.93%

Watched Threads