Do I need to take AS/A levels to get accepted into a university?

Watch
mombash
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
This question has probably been asked a trillion times before, but I haven't found an answer that satisfies me yet. I know that foundation years exist, but I'm not sure if I should take a foundation year or study AS and A levels. Currently, i haven't finished my IGCSE's (yes i don't live in the UK) and I'm planning to study abroad (if you need specifics, its probably malaysia, a medical school, since i want to become a psychiatrist) so I'm still unsure whether I should take AS and A levels and even if I do, should I take both? (i heard from somebody that taking AS without A level is useless as the university will count it as an incomplete course and just look at your IGCSE results instead)
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
In most subjects, the average student will do better on their A level exams if they sit the AS exams at the end of (UK) year 12.

I could link you to the primary research data AQA produced, but with a little Googling you could find it. Or just trust me.
fairypixie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
if u want to go to uni in england, then yes take a levels/ as
you can only first do as level. for international students, there is no a level without as level. you can't not do as level if your international.
you do the as at the end of y12, and a2 (final a level exam) at the end of y13. the results of these 2 grades come together to form a final grade, which is your a level.
you won't even be considered without a levels and just gcses lol. idk who said that but u need a levels or ib or something like that (look online for the exams u can have)
mombash
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pigster)
In most subjects, the average student will do better on their A level exams if they sit the AS exams at the end of (UK) year 12.

I could link you to the primary research data AQA produced, but with a little Googling you could find it. Or just trust me.
Well, I don't study in the UK so we do our A levels in year 13 and our AS in year 12 so doing A levels would take me 2 years as opposed to the one year foundation program offered by most universities
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You need to take A-levels or equivalent. Foundation courses can still have A-level requirements. You do not need to take AS exams, and since the reform of the A-level structure, AS entries are down 90% so not many people take AS anymore.
mombash
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
You need to take A-levels or equivalent. Foundation courses can still have A-level requirements. You do not need to take AS exams, and since the reform of the A-level structure, AS entries are down 90% so not many people take AS anymore.
(Original post by mombash)
Well, I don't study in the UK so we do our A levels in year 13 and our AS in year 12 so doing A levels would take me 2 years as opposed to the one year foundation program offered by most universities
My school still requires students to do AS before doing A levels and I've seen a few universities with foundation programs that have only IGCSE requirements (IGCSE is equivalent to GCSE)
mombash
Rep:
?
(Original post by fairypixie)
if u want to go to uni in england, then yes take a levels/ as
you can only first do as level. for international students, there is no a level without as level. you can't not do as level if your international.
you do the as at the end of y12, and a2 (final a level exam) at the end of y13. the results of these 2 grades come together to form a final grade, which is your a level.
you won't even be considered without a levels and just gcses lol. idk who said that but u need a levels or ib or something like that (look online for the exams u can have)
I'm not talking about going straight to a university course, I'm talking about foundation years (foundation programs) that are taken before the university courses. but you're right,i cant go straight to A level, i need to do AS, but anyways, I'm not planning on studying in the UK
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'm not talking about going straight to a university course, I'm talking about foundation years (foundation programs) that are taken before the university courses. but you're right,i cant go straight to A level, i need to do AS, but anyways, I'm not planning on studying in the UK
And the foundation courses may still have grade requirements. And they may still cost money. And other unis might not accept them as equivalent to A-level.
mombash
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
And the foundation courses may still have grade requirements. And they may still cost money. And other unis might not accept them as equivalent to A-level.
if the grade requirements are A levels or equivalent, doesn't that mean that foundation years aren't equivalent to A levels, and are therefor completely useless for somebody who achieved their desired A level grade?
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
if the grade requirements are A levels or equivalent, doesn't that mean that foundation years aren't equivalent to A levels, and are therefor completely useless for somebody who achieved their desired A level grade?
yes, unless they want to do a different course. The point of foundation years is usually if people don't have the right qualifications to pursue the course they want
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (111)
15.63%
Uncertainty around my education (117)
16.48%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (68)
9.58%
Isolating with family (47)
6.62%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (28)
3.94%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (62)
8.73%
Loneliness (74)
10.42%
Financial worries (27)
3.8%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (63)
8.87%
Exposure to negative news/social media (46)
6.48%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (67)
9.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed