Earning money from music at uni Watch

Nadinus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
K well I know this could also go in to the money/finance forum, also the London forum but it's fairly specifc so I'm posting it here.

In short: how realistic is it to expect finding a job playing piano somewhere, even if it's just in a cafe/bar? I'm not bad, above grade 8 at least. I'm guessing they'd be a fair amount of competition (I'll be living in London) but I'm pretty desperate to do something other than waitressing.

So yeah just wondering how many of you have managed to earn money from your instruments.

Cheers!
crypt0r
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
About 1/4 of my year in uni teach to make money off their instrument and some do professional playing as well but mostly teaching. You could try that if playing in a bar doesn't work? Btw I study music incase you didn't guess.
lazza
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm going to try and begin private teaching next year in the camden area but first I have to find out how much police checks cost...
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I also reckon private teaching is easier than finding bar/café work. Just put your qualifications and details on a card and stick it up in a newsagents. There are ALWAYS parents who want their little darlings to learn piano

Lazza, IIRC, I paid 35 quid for my CRB thing
lostdoll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was going to suggest teaching as well. Even for students (other than music students) who are willing to learn, at a lower fee than other tutors.
lazza
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
£35 really isn't bad! how long does that cover??

yeah i've had a few friends ask me to teach them piano but that was never my serious instrument.

i'm using my diploma to cover me for flute and fife lessons
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lazza)
£35 really isn't bad! how long does that cover??

yeah i've had a few friends ask me to teach them piano but that was never my serious instrument.

i'm using my diploma to cover me for flute and fife lessons
I think a year minimum, maybe two maximum? I don't really know. I was required to get it for a course I did, so I just filled out the form they gave me without reading it
Roobagnall
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
to put it easily, i went busking in a classy part of town last night..

I got £47 for two hours works, obviously its not always like that
BUT
teaching and playing piano would net you some good money. does for me on classical guitar
staticrhubarb
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, bear in mind that London is home to the Royal Academy of Music, the Royal College of Music, Guildhall School of Music and Trinity College of Music, so there will be a lot of competition for any sort of music playing jobs.

Good luck, though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.94%
No - but I will (46)
6.78%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.52%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (317)
46.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise