Can you apply for a passport from another country if... Watch

bionic07
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
your mother was born there? And also her side of the family live out there and are citizens of that country?
Desperate Prayer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can indeed!

Im half american, and have an american passport and a certificate that proudly states that I am a US citizen :P

Sometimes they can be tricky to get however, but hang in there, its perfectly possible.
bionic07
Rep:
?
I wasn't born there though.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wasn't born in Britain, my passport is British though
Desperate Prayer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You dont have to be. I wasnt born in the US, but I still have dual nationality.
Sick Puppy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bionic07)
I wasn't born there though.
You don't have to be. My friend was born in the UK but his dad's Polish (mum's English) and he still can get a Polish passport if he wants one
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It probably depends on their rules. I think different countries have different rules for who is elligible for a passport. Some countries don't allow you to have dual nationality for example.
bionic07
Rep:
?
Thing is my Mum's family were from England. They just emigrated and she was born there. Does that count?
Psyk
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thing is my Mum's family were from England. They just emigrated and she was born there. Does that count?
Where is there?
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
probably - as I said my mam's parents were polish post-war immigrants, yet I still have a british passport as my mam was born in britain
~Hazzle*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think the law states a grandparent has to be born in the country in question, well it's like that for an Irish passport, I know because my grandad is Irish.
*Sparkle*
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It really depends.

My mum wanted me to get an Irish passport, my parents both born in England, and my dads parents were British too.

The Irish Embassy said it was fine for me to have an Irish passport, but then my nan died and suddenly I wasn't allowed one any more. :|
kamie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ~Hazzle*)
I think the law states a grandparent has to be born in the country in question, well it's like that for an Irish passport, I know because my grandad is Irish.
It depends on the country! Ireland is pretty lax - my grandad is Irish so I can get one too. Helps a lot of Americans does that law. But it depends on the country in question, so all you can do is go find out! (Embassy website usually has some information)
munkie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Which country OP?

The answer is yes, you can - I'm a dual national now thanks to connections with the Seychelles.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (215)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
6.93%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.57%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (259)
47.26%

Watched Threads