How do you typically handwrite the number seven? Watch

Irregularity
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Ahhhh, yes the natural number seven. :daydreaming: In handwriting, there are typically two widely used glyphs:

The 'traditional' Hindu way; possibly with curved lines:

Or........

The 'European' way (also common in Latin America), with a line or slash drawn through the center:

Which way do you write it? :holmes:

(I write in the 'traditional' Hindu way, in case anyone was wondering).
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I use what you call the European way. This enables those who use serifs on their numbers to distinguish it from a 1.
goggleyed
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
the original way is a hindu way?
say whaaaaat?
ConDav45
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
‘European’ way
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
European way
mpaprika
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
both, sometimes even in the same number
Darkasmyweave
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
With a line through it because my handwriting's atrocious but sometimes my 1's and 7's end up looking similar anyway
math42
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I sort of phased in the slash during the past couple of years; not really sure why.
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
European
Irregularity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Good bloke)
I use what you call the European way. This enables those who use serifs on their numbers to distinguish it from a 1.
There's no escaping serif, is there? :grumble:
DiddyDecAlt
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The hindu method because it is quicker and I am lazy.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Irregularity)
Ahhhh, yes the natural number seven. :daydreaming: In handwriting, there are typically two widely used glyphs:

The 'traditional' Hindu way; possibly with curved lines:

Or........

The 'European' way (also common in Latin America), with a line or slash drawn through the center:

Which way do you write it? :holmes:

(I write in the 'traditional' Hindu way, in case anyone was wondering).
European
CTLeafez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Depending how edgy I'm feeling, I may write 'VII', otherwise it's the European version for me

On a side note, I've found learning roman numerals really helps when you're out and about with old architecture. You can read the year of establishment etc e.g. MCMXCVI = 1996
Irregularity
Rep:
?
(Original post by CTLeafez)
Depending how edgy I'm feeling, I may write 'VII', otherwise it's the European version for me

On a side note, I've found learning roman numerals really helps when you're out and about with old architecture. You can read the year of establishment etc e.g. MCMXCVI = 1996
Or even on monuments, such as the Wilberforce monument outside the Hull College main tower block building. :fyi:
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I write the date using a roman numeral for the month. For example, 13 June 2019 would be 13/vi/19, and '13 June' would be 13/vi. This has the advantage of making it clear which is the month: our American friends would read '10/6/19' as 6 October 2019, not as we would read it 10 June. Using a roman numeral for the month makes this distinction clearer.
CTLeafez
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
I write the date using a roman numeral for the month. For example, 13 June 2019 would be 13/vi/19, and '13 June' would be 13/vi. This has the advantage of making it clear which is the month: our American friends would read '10/6/19' as 6 October 2019, not as we would read it 10 June. Using a roman numeral for the month makes this distinction clearer.
I've never heard of that system with a Roman numeral month. Do your American colleagues know about this system of the month being the numeral?
lilTrain
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
my 1s and 7s look really different anyway so i dont need a slash in the 7
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I've never heard of that system with a Roman numeral month. Do your American colleagues know about this system of the month being the numeral?
No, that's the funny thing. They just think I'm a wacky Brit!! :lol: I've always written dates this way, though.
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I use the 7 with the line through it my dad always did it that way and I must have copied that. None of my teachers have ever used the the dash through the seven for some reason.
Irregularity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
No, that's the funny thing. They just think I'm a wacky Brit!! :lol: I've always written dates this way, though.
Hey, no shame in being wacky. :hand:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (60)
18.46%
Labour (130)
40%
Liberal Democrats (67)
20.62%
Green Party (25)
7.69%
Brexit Party (10)
3.08%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.23%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.54%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)