will i need a laptop? Watch

beccy.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Helloo
I'm sorry if this has been brought up before but i did do a search and found nothing relevant.
I hope to go to Manchester to read medicine in september and was just wondering if i would need a laptop to take around with me or whether a computer in my room would suffice?
I ask because I don't really like using laptops and so would much rather just have a computer, but obviously, I don't want an Elle Woods in Legally Blonde situation - turning up with a pad and pen when everyone else has laptops (although I appreciate I wouldn't have too many lectures at Manchester) and I would, of course, prefer a laptop if not having one would have a detrimental effect on my studies.

Basically, do i need a laptop or not? Anyone got one and found it essential to their learning? Or not got one and getting along quite fine?!

Thanks to anyone who bothered to read this far i doubt i made much sense!
jseldis
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Haha, i was going to ask the same question
Cynicism 101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Lol, so was I.
rushhour72
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No you do not, my cousin is 3rd yr medic and manchester, and they hv plenty of computers in the computer room.
NS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Taking a laptop to lectures may be a bit OTT, although it would be useful for your room - if you don't have a computer/laptop at university you will become dependent on the computer rooms. Laptop > Computer for home to university transport. :p:
seanw
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Me three lol.

It's a toss up really :/ I don't want a PC taking up a lot of space in my room, and I'd like to work in the library, but I want to play games :/

No idea what to get :C
beccy.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thanks for the replies i will def get one or the other - just didnt know whether to get one that had to stay in my room or one that could travel about with me to lectures/meetings etc.

also a small computer might be okay to take home if i could get hold of my dads car! obv on the train it'd be tricky.
Schadenfreude
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Get a good enough laptop to play games on then!

I appreciate this would be more expensive, but still...

*edit* this post was aimed at seanw
munkie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You WILL need a computer. Not necessarily a laptop.
Very very few people on my course take their notes on a computer.
username43584
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This is a weird topic. The odd person takes their laptop into our lecture theatres...and usually to play games. But in Barts apparently it's quite common? At least their first years seem to be into taking their laptops into lectures.

The only time I've really needed to use my laptop outside my room was for an SSC in the Wellcome Trust and even then it wasn't essential. A desktop should more than suffice. Personally, I like pen and paper for notes and so do most people I reckon.
MuseValheru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A laptop isnt essential. Not many people take them to lectures, the only time they are usefull is when working in a group so you can bring information easily to a discussion or meeting.

If you are looking to play any modern retail game then dont purchase a laptop, they just dont have the power unless you are prepared to spent over £1500.

As for university work any cheap PC or Laptop that supports MS Office will be sufficient, however if this isnt an option all university have computer access.
crazyhelicopter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by becca2389)
But in Barts apparently it's quite common? At least their first years seem to be into taking their laptops into lectures.
Never seen anyone in a lecture here with a laptop
username43584
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by crazyhelicopter)
Never seen anyone in a lecture here with a laptop
One of my bf's friends apparently only ever sends him emails unless she's in lectures! She said it was quite common but maybe only amongst her friends.

I find it annoying personally...you find your eyes drawn to the screen...
hippieglitter
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know anyone who takes a laptop to lectures although everyone has a computer it varies some have laptops some have desktops. It's just a laptop makes packing easier on holidays and in my case i have nowhere at home to put a desktop and i can use my laptop in bed.
badboy killa
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I take a laptop into lectures sometiomes, because my hand writing is terrible and Im much faster taking notes on the laptop. It isnt essential, its more to do with what you would prefer to use.

What you should get, is a dictaphone. They are invaluable in my opinion. It would be a better spend then money on a laptop.
theredsox
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
One of my friends has done the entire year without a computer of her own, using only computer rooms. It's much easier in first year, though, cause we have a computer room in our accommodation.
So it should be safe to not have a laptop.
munkie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by badboy killa)
What you should get, is a dictaphone. They are invaluable in my opinion. It would be a better spend then money on a laptop.
Agreed. Even if you record every lecture and just save it on your computer, at exam time it'll be invaluable to fill in the gaps in your notes
Ribbons
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I haven't got a laptop, but my desktop PC has been absolutely essential - I've had to use it for essays etc, and don't fancy staying in the computer rooms late into evenings. Wikipedia's amazing too for a quick reminder/explanation of something :p:

So yes, get one or the other, it doesn't matter which. (Not sure if this'll help, but I've never seen anyone with a laptop in our lectures - that's in Cardiff).
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by munkie)
Agreed. Even if you record every lecture and just save it on your computer, at exam time it'll be invaluable to fill in the gaps in your notes
Is recording lectures allowed? Do many people do it?

I don't know anything about digital recorders, what are the top brands/models?
graemematt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Recording lectures is fine but you MUST ask the lecturer for permission first.

As for laptops, well, personally I can only imagine them being useful in the clinical stages when youre away on a placement. For example my girlfriend's off to the Isle of Man for a month next year (5th year) and therefore having a laptop would be far, far more convenient for her to do work and keep in touch with people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (366)
37.31%
No - but I will (74)
7.54%
No - I don't want to (69)
7.03%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (472)
48.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise