How to get good at sprinting Watch

Anonymous,
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Im almost 24, do swimming and have been doing short distance running on and off since I was 16, the thing is it has never got me faster at 100m than my natural speed, Ive heard everyone can get 13 seconds if they train for it so how do I do it? I do 200m reps twice a week yet am still really slow.
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
13s @ 200m? do you mean 100m.

Fartlek, interval training, overrunning, hill sprints (up and downhill), weighted sprints, parachute sprints, sled drags, tyre drags.

Squats, deadlifts, cleans, snatches, cable leg drives.
Anonymous,
Rep:
?
sorry yea 100m
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The way to get faster at sprinting is to do more sprinting, improve your technique, plyometrics and do resistance training.

Sprinting shorter (ie; 50m) and longer distances (ie; 200m) will help improve your strength, anaerobic fitness, conditioning, etc. Do hill sprints, weighted sprints, sled drags, etc.

Resistance training should make you stronger, and potentially faster.

Plyometrics will help make you more powerful, and again, faster.

Improving your technique, will again, make you faster, make you less prone to injuries, etc. Something as little as landing with your front foot too far forward will act as a brake and slow your speed for example.

Now you need to get the balance and intensity right, plus you need to progressively improve your fitness, strength, etc. Doing the same routine week in week out is just going to cause you to plateau and you're going to see little if any improvements.

Your best option is to join an athletics club to get expert, one to one advice and coaching. Plus they will know how to optimally integrate strength, plyos, hill sprints, etc.

Yes, swimming, it's a lovely idea, but when do you need to swim while you're sprinting? Sport specific training (ie; sprinting) will bring far greater benefit than any auxiliary exercise.
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Try HIT, keep doing reps for form, get some mini hurdles and set them up about 10m from first to last (trains quick footwork).

Also do some general fitness things such as weight training, sit ups etc.. Helps to build up strength.

Finally, experiment on different environments. For example, do some running (or jumping), on sand (e.g. long jump pit), carpet and any spongy material. Really good for conditioning.
Lady Venom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd love to see what my 100m times are like now. I was clocking around 12 back in the day before I started squatting!
Anonymous,
Rep:
?
Thanks, Ive been in an athletics club since I was 16 and haven't improved despite training lol Im only getting around 15 secs. Im in scotland everyone is too laid back all I want to do is improve, maybe the English know better
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous,)
Thanks, Ive been in an athletics club since I was 16 and haven't improved despite training lol Im only getting around 15 secs. Im in scotland everyone is too laid back all I want to do is improve, maybe the English know better
If you're at an athletics club, they should know how to train you well (or maybe that's just me, I'm lucky in having Loughborough Uni round the corner). Do some of the things mentioned above, and you should start to shave seconds off your time. And don't give up! (that's important, that one )
OllyThePhilosopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do 50m short sprints and carry on 200m sprints for endurance like has been suggested already. You may want to go to the gym to improve the strength of your muscles and work on your technique. Two times a week should be enough.
Lady Venom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Some of it is down to your muscular type though. I'm predominantly fast twitch and therefore am good at sprinting and crap at long distance
Anonymous,
Rep:
?
Ive never really tried long distance and don't know what my muscle type or build would give me an advantage at, I don't have a sprinters build with only being short 4ft11/5ft but all I can do is try and improve, thanks for the tips everyone!
Anonymous,
Rep:
?
(Original post by robinson999)
the way i got faster was in football do like 100m in 12s

strengthen the core: calves, quads, hams, back and abdominal (the "six pack" muscles along with the obleks), chest and arms. But when strengthening these muscles, I would focus more on the muscle bulk and strength not the muscle endurance. For more advice for this, I would consult with a personal trainer. For the running part, I would stay flexible as it helps/contributes to your balance (so do the muscles in your core) but also helps prevent some injuries like pulled muscles and shin splints. Also, I would try to make up a schedule where you can run for X amount of days and try to have X amount of runs. And in most cases, you must increase the muscle tolerance to see some sort of improvement. Make sure you have the following: a good diet, hydration, sleep, a good sense on how to take care of your body, and sleep

i hope lol
Thanks, Ive never focused on my diet tbh I just try to make sure I eat vegetables and fruit most days. I'l try and get a regular schedule too, I get enough sleep but sleep at weird times like from 4 am - 12pm don't know if this makes much difference. Cheers for the advice!
Riddy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous,)
Ive never really tried long distance and don't know what my muscle type or build would give me an advantage at, I don't have a sprinters build with only being short 4ft11/5ft but all I can do is try and improve, thanks for the tips everyone!
You might have more of a distance runners build, what do you weigh? Can't really tell without seeing a pic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (234)
39.39%
No - but I will (40)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (43)
7.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (277)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed