The Student Room Group

Aspiring to be someone I'm not because my (former) crush is crushing on him

Let me try to explain it in the briefest way possible:

I'm a guy at uni and I was previously crushing on a girl. I just found out that I got friendzoned and she was and still is crushing on a good friend of mine.

I've spotted so many very good qualities of his and I just want to be him instead of my own self and I know that. But since he's extraverted, has quick wit and is multitalented, as a person who's not exactly like that I'm a bit annoyed of myself. I don't hate myself, I've been slightly introverted all my life and I'm mostly ok with it, I have hobbies and interests that are not very common and I'm usually fine with that, but I just admire him so much since he gets on with basically everyone.

People tend to find me very offendable and usually avoid me when they can, and the fact is I'm just a chill guy. They apologise to me every time they make a slightly offensive joke in front of me and internally I was like bruh I love banter what you lads on about?

My friend has never had a problem with that and I just want to live his life and see what it feels like, especially when it comes to having quality friends and girlfriends that would actually stick around.

I have never felt like that before, have I been thinking in the wrong direction or does anyone think like that too?
(edited 4 years ago)
Some tips:

1) Be yourself, don't change for a girl who doesn't (I mean no offence by this my man) like you for you.
2) If you do want to be more extroverted do it naturally in your own way.
Reply 2
Original post by CameronWS
Some tips:

1) Be yourself, don't change for a girl who doesn't (I mean no offence by this my man) like you for you.
2) If you do want to be more extroverted do it naturally in your own way.

Cheers for the quick reply man, great tips. I learned 1) the hard way with my first girlfriend. Thing is I know this may not be true but I feel like few people will like me for who I am, and this mindset hurts, it's like I'm punching myself. If you've read my previous post (I've only made two so far, I think) I'm East Asian and it's been fairly difficult for me to break the stereotypes. I was born in the UK and my parent's never gave a **** about my behaviour anyway so I just did what other people did, so I just act British.

Regarding 2), would you mind elaborating? Cheers man
Original post by ChillDawg
Cheers for the quick reply man, great tips. I learned 1) the hard way with my first girlfriend. Thing is I know this may not be true but I feel like few people will like me for who I am, and this mindset hurts, it's like I'm punching myself. If you've read my previous post (I've only made two so far, I think) I'm East Asian and it's been fairly difficult for me to break the stereotypes. I was born in the UK and my parent's never gave a **** about my behaviour anyway so I just did what other people did, so I just act British.

Regarding 2), would you mind elaborating? Cheers man

Well finding those few people who do like you for who you are, are in fact the most important. I understand that, it sucks.

Maybe just, do things you wouldn't usually do but would consider doing. You know? So say you're offered to go out clubbing on the off chance and lets say you usually say no. Well say yes. Try saying yes to more things, for a week just say yes to activities and stuff like that. My humour is incredibly offensive so I dial it down for newer people.

What you experience with that guy is just jealousy, everyone gets it. You can act upon it and change a few things but never do anything drastic.

Few things to try if you feel in a rut:
1) Join a new society that interests you but you didn't join
2) Join a gym (if you haven't)
3) Attend all your classes and optional classes (if you aren't already)
I know they sound like odd tips but it helps take your mind off of things and turn your energy to more positive stuff.

Hope that helps man, and no worries. Feel free to keep asking, I'm no guru but I can sure give advice
Reply 4
Yeah in fact I wouldn't say I'm a full-blown introvert because I do go to a lot of societies, talk to a lot of people and go clubbing a lot (haha freshers life innit) but I also love being alone in my room very much, that's probably where my reputation comes from. I'm good at making mates but when it comes to making actual friends or even finding a girl that would like hang out with me, I'm a bit incompetent. I've been in some relationships before but they really just started because of pure luck and none of them ended well. I've never really been offered to go clubbing because people would just assume that I wouldn't go. I'm a bit of a party animal in disguise.

Regarding jealousy, maybe on a subconscious level, but I genuinely admire my friend for how good he is at living his best life. May sounds a bit immature but since I've been single for quite a while now, I do want someone to share my life with; however uni has been slightly overwhelming so far and most of the girls seem to be "out of my league" if that even exists. When I talk to a new group of people, it will usually only be the guys who talk back, the girls never look at me at all and that's just a bit defeating sometimes. Sometimes it even makes me wonder if I'm really that ugly! The friend I talk about can literally just stand still at the edge of a table with a beer and have new people talking to him, and I actually have to make an effort to start conversations. It's the vibe he gives off.

I assume everyone's experience is just different and I just have to live with it and learn through trial and error. There are just so many variables in life there can't really be a set formula for living... Been thinking about it alone and I was like "there's probably isn't a shortcut". Might need to work on my attitude for a bit, idk.

Sorry I've definitely gone somewhat off topic there but thank you for the advice man, although I've already done all three of those that you suggested. I like your profile picture btw, I'm a physics student and it reminds me of angular velocity. I like studying that bit.
Original post by ChillDawg
Yeah in fact I wouldn't say I'm a full-blown introvert because I do go to a lot of societies, talk to a lot of people and go clubbing a lot (haha freshers life innit) but I also love being alone in my room very much, that's probably where my reputation comes from. I'm good at making mates but when it comes to making actual friends or even finding a girl that would like hang out with me, I'm a bit incompetent. I've been in some relationships before but they really just started because of pure luck and none of them ended well. I've never really been offered to go clubbing because people would just assume that I wouldn't go. I'm a bit of a party animal in disguise.

Regarding jealousy, maybe on a subconscious level, but I genuinely admire my friend for how good he is at living his best life. May sounds a bit immature but since I've been single for quite a while now, I do want someone to share my life with; however uni has been slightly overwhelming so far and most of the girls seem to be "out of my league" if that even exists. When I talk to a new group of people, it will usually only be the guys who talk back, the girls never look at me at all and that's just a bit defeating sometimes. Sometimes it even makes me wonder if I'm really that ugly! The friend I talk about can literally just stand still at the edge of a table with a beer and have new people talking to him, and I actually have to make an effort to start conversations. It's the vibe he gives off.

I assume everyone's experience is just different and I just have to live with it and learn through trial and error. There are just so many variables in life there can't really be a set formula for living... Been thinking about it alone and I was like "there's probably isn't a shortcut". Might need to work on my attitude for a bit, idk.

Sorry I've definitely gone somewhat off topic there but thank you for the advice man, although I've already done all three of those that you suggested. I like your profile picture btw, I'm a physics student and it reminds me of angular velocity. I like studying that bit.

Maybe introduce to other people that you would like to go clubbing and maybe post it on your social accounts when you do go?

Ahh I see, admiration is fine. Maybe you could try to do some of the things he does? Don’t change your life but with the way he interacts with girls in particular?

There is no formula to life yet sorry. I think attitude is important, mine was off at the start of AS levels but I soon changed now I’m in A levels.

Hey no worries dude. Haha glad you like it, what University do you go to? I’m applying tight nor for physics/astrophysics/cosmology and I’ve got:
Lancaster
Sussex
Southampton
Nottingham
Reply 6
Original post by CameronWS
Maybe introduce to other people that you would like to go clubbing and maybe post it on your social accounts when you do go?

Ahh I see, admiration is fine. Maybe you could try to do some of the things he does? Don’t change your life but with the way he interacts with girls in particular?

There is no formula to life yet sorry. I think attitude is important, mine was off at the start of AS levels but I soon changed now I’m in A levels.

Hey no worries dude. Haha glad you like it, what University do you go to? I’m applying tight nor for physics/astrophysics/cosmology and I’ve got:
Lancaster
Sussex
Southampton
Nottingham

Man you've been very helpful, thanks for your advice! Glad you've got it sorted too!

Yeah I guess I still have a lot to learn from everyone. Life is long.

I go to Nottingham btw and it's been great so far, so I definitely recommend it. Best of luck with your A-Levels!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending