A level history c/w Watch

jillbob
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Im starting A level history coursework and have to decide on an essay tittle.
I've looked into history around Joan of Arc and would like to do my coursework about her as it interests me. The problem is I can't find a suitable essay title that involves debate which has to be around the issue discussed in the essay, (and it can't be whether or not she heard voices)

Does anyone know a debate about Joan of Arc that would be suitable for A level history coursework?
MJE
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Perhaps you could talk about her involvement in the Hundred Years War?

To what extent was she responsible for bringing Charles VII to the throne?

Or perhaps in one of the books you've read about her, you could use a controversial quote or historical interpretation as a suitable starting point.
Bladesman Ben
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can't particularly help you with Joan of Arc specifically, but I will say this out of experience (I've done my coursework this year):
I tried to fit a question around a topic that I found interesting, choosing the subject first and then finding a debate around it, but this just does not work. I found Cuban history pre-Cuban Revolution interesting as I imagine you find Joan of Arc interesting now, but trying to mangle a debate out of a subject is far too difficult. It was immensely hard trying to extract your own 'new' debate, when you can make it infinitely easier for yourself by choosing a topic where a clearly defined debate already exists.
So my advice would be: choose a subject where you can be absolutely certain that a historical debate already exists, with lots of contrasting literature freely available. Otherwise, you'll make it, as I did, unnecessarily incredibly hard for yourself
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (469)
38.13%
No - but I will (95)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (87)
7.07%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (579)
47.07%

Watched Threads