Car insurance has been cancelled

Watch
Gd2019
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I had car insurance with a company for around two months I was sent an email saying it is being cancelled due to lack of identification as they wanted a certificate of my driving license of the DVLA website although everytime I asked what they needed after sending them full picture copies of my insurance they didn’t answer. So now I have a cancellation on my record and it is far too expensive as it doubled in price. I am in desperate need to get new car insurance but don’t know how to get it lowered Can someone please help
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Gd2019)
I had car insurance with a company for around two months I was sent an email saying it is being cancelled due to lack of identification as they wanted a certificate of my driving license of the DVLA website although everytime I asked what they needed after sending them full picture copies of my insurance they didn’t answer. So now I have a cancellation on my record and it is far too expensive as it doubled in price. I am in desperate need to get new car insurance but don’t know how to get it lowered Can someone please help
*licence
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You shouldn't have just assumed it was okay. You should have been calling them constantly to ensure it got sorted.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Other than discuss your attempted communications with your last insurer, and hope they remove the marker (unlikely), there's really nothing you can do.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you mixing up the words Insurance and Licence here?

Your insurer wouldn't be asking for copies of your Insurance, I'd imagine they're asking for proof of your driving license?

I obv haven't read your contract, but i'll go ahead and speculate that when they asked you to get 'License info from DVLA online', what they wanted was the 'Check my licence' code generated on the DVLA website, so that they can check your license directly with the DVLA...I doubt images you've created at home are acceptable. (I wouldn't be too surprised if the email address you've been using is automated and accepts text only? There may not be a real person to spot and reply)

(Original post by IWMTom)
You shouldn't have just assumed it was okay. You should have been calling them constantly to ensure it got sorted.
This, I kinda feel the onus is on the OP here to have chased it up, esp seeing they weren't getting a reply and they're the one that faces consequences for it. There's also an understanding that the driver is aware of how the paperwork works and what they need to provide to people. (I got a wee 'how to' booklet when I passed?) Personally if my insurance DD is off at all, or i'm asked for something by email...i'm straight on the phone to clarify and ask 'Everything ok? I'm still insured right?'
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Are you mixing up the words Insurance and Licence here?

Your insurer wouldn't be asking for copies of your Insurance, I'd imagine they're asking for proof of your driving license?

I obv haven't read your contract, but i'll go ahead and speculate that when they asked you to get 'License info from DVLA online', what they wanted was the 'Check my licence' code generated on the DVLA website, so that they can check your license directly with the DVLA...I doubt images you've created at home are acceptable. (I wouldn't be too surprised if the email address you've been using is automated and accepts text only? There may not be a real person to spot and reply)

This, I kinda feel the onus is on the OP here to have chased it up, esp seeing they weren't getting a reply and they're the one that faces consequences for it. There's also an understanding that the driver is aware of how the paperwork works and what they need to provide to people. (I got a wee 'how to' booklet when I passed?) Personally if my insurance DD is off at all, or i'm asked for something by email...i'm straight on the phone to clarify and ask 'Everything ok? I'm still insured right?'
Yeah it’s the OP’s responsibility to ensure everything is okay.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
although everytime I asked what they needed after sending them full picture copies of my insurance they didn’t answer.
Really? Really....
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Really? Really....
I don't think we should judge the OP, for all we know, the insurer just so happened to have lost all its data... and redundant backups... and the MID lost all records... and so did the CCM firm who did the printing........

Okay yeah maybe not.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This webpage explains it quite clearly:
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/blog/20...g-licence.html

All they need is your permission (plus some details) to check your license on the DVLA database for motoring convictions.
This is a reasonable request as there will be some people that lie about this.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So they wanted proof of your driving licence but you sent them pictures of your insurance?

There's your problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (135)
14.64%
I'm not sure (40)
4.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (279)
30.26%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.6%
I'm not a current university student (444)
48.16%

Watched Threads