money aaahh! Watch

sokissme18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
i'm at uni, and with my loan.. i only get a little over my accommodation costs.

i have a friend who gets loads. grants/burseries etccc. she'll have almost 4000 pound for next year, not even including accommodation.

i'm so poor right now. i've found some work, but i have no motivation and feel so frustrated. it's like.. i have to work (also whilst at uni) while some people just get it handed to them.

she's not even poor though? she had her own car and everything. it's so frustrating. why is this allowed to happen?! my family are hardly rich! they can't afford to just hand me hundreds of pounds.

needed to rant. keep hearing her going on about how she's gonna be loaded next year too. grr
RoEmKa
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
How is she getting almost £4k? The max grant is £2700, I believe? And the university top up is unlikely to be that much?

And what do you mean by 'not even including accomodation'? Surely she will have to pay for her accomodation too - as far as I know, they don't hand it out free to some students?

I can see why you find it frustrating and there will no doubt be some who look loaded and can afford all sorts.

However, the grant system does help a lot of students who would otherwise struggle and the fact is, your parents are earning quite a bit or you would be entitled as well. Now they possibly choose not to help you out but that is a choice. Parents on less than £20k a year for example do not have any choice - they simply do not have the money.

Another way to look at it is you are adding to your CV - employers want graduates to have done some work these days and most applicants you will be up against will have. Plus, you will perhaps be more prepared for the real world than your friend, if she chooses not to work?

I can understand how you feel though - I'm sure I'd be a bit resentful too! But try not to compre yourself with others - just do the best you can for you because envy can eat you up and hold you back.
*Sparkle*
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh tell me about it!!!

Mine is the fault of my parents though, I get in loans and grant what I'm deserved based on their income, I get like £100 grant.

My parents can't afford to give me any of it because they have debts to pay off. It's annoying and really bugged me last year, but at the end of the day that's just life unfortunately.

Find a job you like and you won't complain anyway.
sokissme18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by RoEmKa)
How is she getting almost £4k? The max grant is £2700, I believe? And the university top up is unlikely to be that much?
her loan and grant and bursay all together comes to 6000 and something. her accommodation will take up under 3000 of that, so the rest she just gets to do whatever with, and not even pay a lot back. sucks eh!
beccaarr
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I get a fair amount, full lot for accommodaton, full grant and a £1000 bursary. My accommodation is under £3000 so I have a fair amount left over, but its not like I can spent it however I want.

She's hardly going to be loaded. Sounds like I'm getting the same as her, and I don't see that as loaded, fair enough, I'll be better off that I am now, but I'll hardly be rolling in it.
*Sparkle*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My loan was nowhere near enough to pay for my rent, so I started first day with negative bank balance haha.

You sound pretty loaded to me lol
she
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I got the full grant and a bursary and I still only ended up with about 30 pounds a week to spend. But then my parents really can't help they earn about 10,000 a year combined... And I thought I had a reason to be peeved at the students who get weekly pocket money from their parents!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (541)
37.75%
No - but I will (112)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (684)
47.73%

Watched Threads