What kind of novels have hidden/deep meanings e.g: motifs, symbols?

Watch
hehe_x
Badges: 14
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm looking for anything at all which I can analyse thoroughly and link to some contextual info perhaps - e.g: use of locations in mice and men
rajayasaswini
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hehe_x)
I'm looking for anything at all which I can analyse thoroughly and link to some contextual info perhaps - e.g: use of locations in mice and men
There's a book called Demian with a lot of symbolism.
Miriam29
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You’ll find motifs in most fiction novels (possibly excluding modern YA novels). I’d suggest something short like A Room With A View by Forster. There’s a lot in there.
Kiss-My-axe
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To kill a mocking bird has lots
Lit teacher
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Jane Eyre has plenty to look at, or Wuthering Heights. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier uses settings effectively.

(Original post by Kiss-My-axe)
To kill a mocking bird has lots
itscourtchicks
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
L’Étranger by Albert Camus (The Stranger in English). There’s a LOT of philosophical topics integrated within the novel (absurdism is a big one), and you can do a lot of character analysis too. There is also a a major theme of nature and its role in how the story progresses and the relationship the protagonist has with it and how it influences him in his crime. You could also do something with it’s historical significance as well (Algeria under French colonial rule, 1940s).
Davy611
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
'Animal Farm' by George Orwell would be a good choice. 'Mice and Men' is good too; each of the characters are representative of bigger sections of society.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.1%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (30)
16.39%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (30)
16.39%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (27)
14.75%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (50)
27.32%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.03%

Watched Threads