Ellie.Ginger
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
is genetic variation a selection pressure?
isob08
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No not exactly... Selection pressure leads to genetic variation.

Back to basics; Giraffes with short necks evolved to having long necks - this was so they could reach the leaves on taller trees. The giraffes would have been competing with each other, the ones that adapted to have taller necks were at an advantage as they could reach more available food source.

> Selective pressures determine natural selection - Some members of the population will not survive and reproduce. (short neck giraffes) will not pass on their genes into the next generation. Gradually, the population changes, and genes that improve survival and reproduction will become more common, while genes that are disadvantageous to survival and reproduction will become more rare. This change in the genetic makeup of a population is called evolution.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ellie.Ginger)
is genetic variation a selection pressure?
Nope, not really. Selection pressure just determines which living beings survived and which of them not. The living beings which got the better genetic attributes by mutation or genetic recombination are just able to survive better, IF they got. Adaption on surroundings is a passive, not an active evolutionary step! the individuals cannot change their genes by themselves. Genetic variation is a consequence of selection pressure and just the individuals of a population with best fitted genes survive.

isob08 gave a good example above.
Last edited by Kallisto; 1 year ago
Ellie.Ginger
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you so much isob08 Kallisto
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ellie.Ginger)
Thank you so much isob08 Kallisto
Don't mention it, to help people is an honour to me. I am happy to do this, if I can.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (27)
14.36%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (56)
29.79%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (75)
39.89%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (25)
13.3%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.66%

Watched Threads