hriii
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm in my 2nd year of Alevel and I want to do medicine but my school has predicted me CCC so I can't apply. So, I'm hoping I can get the actual grades and go in through adjustment. Has anyone gone to medicine through adjustment and what unis do adjustment
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Last year (and this doesnt predict what will happen next August) there were a handful of Med Schools accepting Clearing applications from those with good grades. St Georges (London) and Sunderland, and I think there were a couple of others.

Medicine always interviews - and the competition for these interviews are as you would expect, fiercely competitive. So do not rely on this for a place even if you do get the grades.

Most other Unis have a 'reserve list' - people they interviewed but just missed the cut for an offer (but who are now not holding a Medicine offer anywhere) - to back-fill spaces in August. They dont want to be messing about with interviews in August.

A better tactic will always be to work your pants off for the best possible grades you can get (and dont apply for anything this year - its just distracting) and then apply with known grades next September. And if you dont make the high grades, have a look at Foundation courses - and Gateway programs if you meet the criteria - you could apply for these with lower achieved grades.
hriii
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Last year (and this doesnt predict what will happen next August) there were a handful of Med Schools accepting Clearing applications from those with good grades. St Georges (London) and Sunderland, and I think there were a couple of others.

Medicine always interviews - and the competition for these interviews are as you would expect, fiercely competitive. So do not rely on this for a place even if you do get the grades.

Most other Unis have a 'reserve list' - people they interviewed but just missed the cut for an offer (but who are now not holding a Medicine offer anywhere) - to back-fill spaces in August. They dont want to be messing about with interviews in August.

A better tactic will always be to work your pants off for the best possible grades you can get (and dont apply for anything this year - its just distracting) and then apply with known grades next September. And if you dont make the high grades, have a look at Foundation courses - and Gateway programs if you meet the criteria - you could apply for these with lower achieved grades.
Thank you so much. When you say there were some who accepted clearing applications for ones with good grades, does that mean for adjustment? And if I apply next September, would I go to uni a year later?
I know that if I do get the grades at the end, I'll probably have to apply next year anyway, but I would prefer to go to uni in 2020. And I don't meet the GCSE requirements of some unis for med, so if I get the grades, would I still be able to go through adjustment if they want higher GCSE's? (eg: they want 5 7's but I have 4 7's)
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hriii)
Thank you so much. When you say there were some who accepted clearing applications for ones with good grades, does that mean for adjustment? And if I apply next September, would I go to uni a year later?
I know that if I do get the grades at the end, I'll probably have to apply next year anyway, but I would prefer to go to uni in 2020. And I don't meet the GCSE requirements of some unis for med, so if I get the grades, would I still be able to go through adjustment if they want higher GCSE's? (eg: they want 5 7's but I have 4 7's)
In order :

Adjustment is exactly the same as Clearing except with Adjustment you can hang onto your existing place while you search for another offer - in this case go through an interview. You wouldnt have any advantage over anyone else, its just the UCAS process that is slightly different.

If you apply next Sept/Oct (2020) you would be applying for a place to start Sept 2021 (or 2022 if you applied for a deferred place up front).

If you really want to do Medicine then you wouldnt mind waiting another year for that to happen.

GCSE requirements - if you dont meet the GCSE requirements then you can forget Clearing. You dont meet the basic academic requirements. You'll just be rejected. But not all Med Schools have the same GCSE requirements - Bristol for instance only wants 7 in Maths and 5 in English. You may need to take a longer view on this - ie. get the best A level grades you can this year, work out where you could apply with those, then retake any GCSEs where you need higher grades. At the moment you clearly do not have the required grades at both GCSE or potentially A level, so 'going this year' really is unrealistic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (285)
56.21%
I don't have everything I need (222)
43.79%

Watched Threads