Vote of No Confidence in the Speaker Watch

This discussion is closed.
Drogue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Since the constitution doesn't say you need to be an MP to call such a vote. I do. Clearly the constitution has been breached numerous times, such as trying to rule without a government.

Also the seeming chaos the HoC is in, because a re-run of the minority government vote was not called.

The constitution also doesn't state, in it's current edition, that a seconder is needed. Nor how a VoNC goes ahead. Which seems strange.
wmv94226
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We should have a constitutional committee to discuss this problem and to give a solution.
Drogue
Rep:
?
But we don't. Hence we either accept the speaker's interpretation, which is to muddle on without a government, or we have a VoNC. They're the only two options I can see, unless the speaker calls a re-run of the vote to form a minority government.
daniel_williams
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago
Vote of No Confidence against the Speaker
1) A vote of No Confidence can be called against the speaker at any point during their
speakership
2) The vote of confidence against a speaker must be sent to them via a PM, along with a
person to second the Vote of No Confidence. (The person calling the Vote of No
Confidence must be an MP as does the person seconding the vote of no confidence)
3) The person proposing the Vote of No confidence must then post a thread in the House of
Commons stating the reasons why they are calling a vote of No confidence in the speaker
4) The speaker will send a PM to all MPs to inform them of the vote of no confidence.
5) There will be a period of 3 - 4 days where the members of the House of Commons can ask
questions to both the speaker and person calling the Vote of No Confidence
6) If the speaker does not want to deal with the vote of no confidence they can appoint a
Moderator to deal with the Vote of No Confidence. If they do want to deal with the Vote
of No Confidence then they are allowed to set up the poll and oversee everything.
7) After the debating has finished the speaker/appointed moderator will set up a poll lasting
4 days in the Division Lobby where the MP’s will get a vote on the future of the speaker.
8) The Poll will be a private poll so the results are not revealed until the poll ends.
9) If the results are in the favour of the Vote of No Confidence, the speaker will
automatically start a speaker election which either they can run, or the appointed
moderator will oversee. Once the new speaker is found the old speaker will be removed
from power.
10) If the results are not in favour of the Vote of No Confidence then the speaker will return
to their duties but would be expected to make a formal apology to the house.

The speaker does not have to run the vote of no confidence or the election, this will be a non
bias appointed moderator, most likely a global or super mod that is active within the House of
Commons and is a current standing MP
Drogue
Rep:
?
Where is that from? That's not in the constitution currently in the OP of the constitution thread, which the speaker said is the current constitution.
wmv94226
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks Dan.

Looks like that's finished:

2) The vote of confidence against a speaker must be sent to them via a PM, along with a
person to second the Vote of No Confidence. (The person calling the Vote of No
Confidence must be an MP as does the person seconding the vote of no confidence)
daniel_williams
Report 10 years ago
this is taken from the constitution that passed... the current speaker only has parts of the constitution that passed, plus some amendments.

the amendments made to it stated nothing about removing the VoNC against the speaker.

the constitution which passed can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=558465

and all the amendments to it can be found in the division lobby.
davireland
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Dan, just out of interest, if you were still speaker how would u solve this?
daniel_williams
Report 10 years ago
if i were still speaker we'd have had a government by now because inthe original constitution i said that in the event of a tie with seats the party who had the largest number of votes would be the government, unless coalitions had been formed.

in this situation the Libera Democrat and Labour coalition would have held the the title of government. the conservatives would have been the opposition.

with it being such a farce i might have even been tempted to re-hold the entire general election.

the problem is i am a very traditional person with my views on politics, if it aint broke don't fix it! the problem is thing change and people don't realise what the changes are it throws them and things get into turmoil like they are at the moment.

the problem is the most recent constitutional amendments have caused a few issues and this whole argument has lead from one of these about minority governments. i'd like to see everything reverted back to the original constitution (not just because i wrote it and understood it) but because its the way the HoC has pretty much always been run (with a small amount of variance)
Grape190190
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The constitution is flawed, not the interpretation.
davireland
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by daniel_williams)
the problem is i am a very traditional person with my views on politics, if it aint broke don't fix it! the problem is thing change and people don't realise what the changes are it throws them and things get into turmoil like they are at the moment.
Why didnt you join the Conservative party if your a traditionalist who doesnt like change :p: .

Grape, when is a constitution ever flawless? the problem lies with the interpretation of the constitution look at the VoNC threads if you dont believe me.
Metrobeans
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
While we're at it, anyone want to call a VoNC against my cat?
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Metrobeans)
While we're at it, anyone want to call a VoNC against my cat?
Nope, i at least am satisfied with your cats contribution to the HoC.
01kij114
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
one thing thats seperate grape its funny you declare your pm when your party dosent believe in leadership. more importantly though im behind any VoNC but we need good support to make it happen.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (219)
39.46%
No - but I will (38)
6.85%
No - I don't want to (37)
6.67%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (261)
47.03%

Watched Threads