The Student Room Group

Depression Society MkII

Wow, a whole 10,000 posts have gone by in the depression soc...so it's time for a new thread.

This society welcomes all members who may be suffering from depression, where we get together and help support each other to try and help ourselves through the rough times, and perhaps share advice that might help out fellow sufferers.

So, bring on the discussion, bring on the hugs...and maybe one day, bring on the happiness :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm I the only one who finds a whole new thread scary? :s-smilie:
Laus, you are not weak, you're a fighter :hugs:
Bit out of depth, slightly, but I#ll settle in soon hopefully!
Reply 4
Laus, you're not weak at all and you can get through this. It might seem like you can't at the moment but you will do. Just keep fighting hun :hugs:
Reply 5
Continuing from the old thread...
Laus
I know I will not be able to cope with this for years and I admire those of you who have. I don't know how you do it. Perhaps I'm a weaker person. I just know that I can't cope with these feelings for much longer.
Laus, you're not a weak person at all :hugs: What you feel now is pretty much what I've felt since I was 18...it's so hard to keep on going, but if I managed it I know you can as well, pet :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Reply 6
I understand that can be tough..perhaps if you make a rule for yourself to go out with friends a few nights a week,have a few drinks,have a laugh -or just try see things in a different light,realise you won't enjoy things you once did - but try not to lose interest and carry on as normally as you can,if you start the day with a negative attitude 'I won't enjoy anything today' -you will end up doing just that -sorry for preaching-
I'm sure that day will come-why not practice for that day tomorrow ? :wink: :smile:

feel better soon xx

I wish I could share your enthusiasm. I wish I could say, YES, you're right! Why didn't I think of that before! But honestly, hun, it is not that easy. I'm sorry but you cannot understand if you just think it's tough. It's nigh on impossible to do the things you suggest. No, I tell a lie. It isn't impossible. It just doesn't make things better. I don't wake up thinking 'I won't enjoy anything today'. It really is not like that. I try to think positively and I try to be happy. I try SO unbelievably hard to not be or feel like this. I would rather have a physical illness than this. I would rather puke my guts out everyday than have depression. I can't laugh :frown:. God I sound so miserable. I don't understand your OCD but I appreciate it must be hard for you. I wouldn't tell you to stop doing it because, as with depression, it is not so straightforward.
Wow, a new shiny thread. Hi everyone.
Reply 8
:hugs: *hugs Laus*

Hi Hannah :hugs: How are you today hun?
Reply 9
Thanks guys. I appreciate your support, really, I do. I just wish I could believe it myself. I don't feel like a fighter. I feel like a weak failure. I hate this. I know I'm stating the obvious but I can't explain how much I hate this. It's like the worst possible thing a person could go through. It's relentless. And yet people refuse to understand, people refuse to take it seriously. I know I shouldn't complain and that other people have suffered for years but I don't know how you do it.
Reply 10
:hugs: everyone.
Reply 11
Laus
Thanks guys. I appreciate your support, really, I do. I just wish I could believe it myself. I don't feel like a fighter. I feel like a weak failure. I hate this. I know I'm stating the obvious but I can't explain how much I hate this. It's like the worst possible thing a person could go through. It's relentless. And yet people refuse to understand, people refuse to take it seriously. I know I shouldn't complain and that other people have suffered for years but I don't know how you do it.

You know what, nor do I :hugs: It's so bloody hard but it CAN be beaten. I'm kinda scared to post exactly what I mean on here but trust me, things CAN get better, even from the lowest low. :hugs:
Reply 12
becki08
You know what, nor do I :hugs: It's so bloody hard but it CAN be beaten. I'm kinda scared to post exactly what I mean on here but trust me, things CAN get better, even from the lowest low. :hugs:

Don't be scared to post. I have stopped worrying about rl people figuring out who I am because the likeliness of that ever happening is slim. If you do have something to say but don't want to say it in here, feel free to PM me anytime. :hugs:

I hope you're right.
Yay, the 9pm-9am bug has struck once again :cry:

Laus, I know what you mean about RL people... some people know who I am on here, but they've never said anything and tbh, if they kept checking what I've written, they're the sad ones not me!! (They know who I am from before I changed my username and using a false name'll throw others off :tongue:)
becki08
:hugs: *hugs Laus*

Hi Hannah :hugs: How are you today hun?

:hugs: Not great. It's been a really tough day, actually. I just kind of want to be able to hug someone and just cry.

Laus... I know this is hard, I know that you feel like **** and I'm so sorry, and if I could take it away I would. If it's any consolation, I think you're an absolutely amazing person. :hugs:
Reply 15
I sent you a PM Laus :hugs:

:hugs: for Hannah. Do you want to talk? You can PM me if you want :hugs:
Reply 16
Hi guys, sorry to intrude :redface: and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'd appreciate any help...

Basically, one of my closest friends has recently become depressed (within the last few months or so) and his parents, friends etc are being quite unhelpful (with comments such as "you have a great life, what do you have to be depressed about?!") Luckily, he's chosen to confide in me, and tells me I'm the only one he feels comfortable talking to because he feels like I understand him and don't judge him. He phones me nearly every night to generally just talk at me while I listen, which is fine...but I was just wondering, if any of you guys were in his position, what would you like me to say? I'm reluctant to give him advice as I think that's best left to professionals but I just feel a bit useless to him at the moment :s-smilie: I want to support him as much as possible but I'm not sure how to communicate it to him without being over powering :s-smilie:

Most contact is over msn and the phone by the way, we don't live particularly close to each other so face to face contact is unfortunately limited.

Sorry about the essay, and thanks :smile: sorry again if this is the wrong place, but I figured you guys would know best.
Reply 17
chan89
Hi guys, sorry to intrude :redface: and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'd appreciate any help...

Basically, one of my closest friends has recently become depressed (within the last few months or so) and his parents, friends etc are being quite unhelpful (with comments such as "you have a great life, what do you have to be depressed about?!") Luckily, he's chosen to confide in me, and tells me I'm the only one he feels comfortable talking to because he feels like I understand him and don't judge him. He phones me nearly every night to generally just talk at me while I listen, which is fine...but I was just wondering, if any of you guys were in his position, what would you like me to say? I'm reluctant to give him advice as I think that's best left to professionals but I just feel a bit useless to him at the moment :s-smilie: I want to support him as much as possible but I'm not sure how to communicate it to him without being over powering :s-smilie:

Most contact is over msn and the phone by the way, we don't live particularly close to each other so face to face contact is unfortunately limited.

Sorry about the essay, and thanks :smile: sorry again if this is the wrong place, but I figured you guys would know best.

Hey there,

Sounds like he's got a great friend in you :smile:

I think when someone's got depression there isn't really a right thing to say but just knowing that someone's there and is happy to listen is a huge help. All I can suggest is reassuring him about things but it sounds like you're already doing a great job by being there for him. :smile:
chan89

It sounds like you're doing the right thing already. Just being there to listen is a wonderful thing, and, unless you're asked, he probably wouldn't expect any more from you. I think it's great that you care so much about your friend.
Reply 19
Hi everyone. Today hasn't been the best of days. Not compared to how it started anyway. My card got declined for 3.50 in morrisons. I have 40p to my name and am in trouble with my bank. Broke down in morrisons and left embarrassed and shamed. Grr i'm so stupid and irresponsible. Just been feeling drained too. Started crying about my bampie and been seeing loads of things on tv today about death etc. And it's made me cry everytime. I feel completely alone even though luke has been amazing. I feel like i don't care anymore about anything. I'm empty.

Latest