How important is beauty? Watch

Sprout_hair
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Sort of off from the natural vs fake beauty thread..
How important is beauty?
Yes, it can help you attract opposite sex
Yes, there are obvious advantages..
But don't we all age and eventually external beauty disappears..?

So how important is beauty? Would you rather have the brains?
Garden_Gnome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Beauty is truth, truth is beauty.

Of course, if it was a choice between the two I'd have brains. I wouldn't want an "attractive" women but no intelligent conversation. Still, attractiveness is important and anyone who denies that is a little nieve (I'm saying this as a not very good lucking guy at all).

That said what I find attractive may not be what others find attractive. I had a girlfirend once, the deepest brown eyes you could imagine. You could get lost in them. Her hair was like velvet. Anyway, without sounding like a bad love poem I found her attractive but most others found her plain. I never understood that.
hnm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Brains. But beauty is important to an extent. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if one day everybody's outer self reflected their level of kindness, selflessness and other inner beauty qualities. It would be an interesting experience. Or maybe I'm just a bit cheesy like that.
cantthinkofaname
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
beauty can get u a long way without any real brains. those with brains dont get the most money (e.g. academics) however those with beauty marry the richest ppl and become the most successful pop stars etc and models get paid loads by the day.
Sprout_hair
Rep:
?
I also think beauty can destry someone though..
Destroy their positive qualities..
JoiedeVivre5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i agree with everyone else, brains over beauty..

but it isnt half annoying when someone is extremely clever and also extremely beautiful..
cantthinkofaname
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sprout_hair)
I also think beauty can destry someone though..
Destroy their positive qualities..
beauty and brains can corrupt someone (mainly arrogance), however this is their own downfall.
SoundDevastation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
not important i dont think.. i dont want to ever be favoured for my looks and i dont go out of my way to be attractive. In fact i often do the opposite. And no im not just saying this cause im ugly.. :rolleyes:
xJessx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think attractiveness is definitely important to a point but only as a stepping stone. If you can't back it up with intelligence or a personality, it's no good. I would rather have the brains because I would love to invent something/find a cure for something and much rather be remembered for that than for being fit. And yes, in the end we all lose our looks so I don't bother about it too much.
Sprout_hair
Rep:
?
It does bugg me how some people live on looks..
Like models and wives of famous people..
Life is actually so much easier with looks i guess..
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sprout_hair)
But don't we all age and eventually external beauty disappears..?
That's like saying "What's the point in living if we're going to die anyway?"
AussieKat
Report 10 years ago
I'd rather have brains. I'd want to have some beauty as well but I agree that it does disppear with age so what's the point. Natural beauty beats fake btw x
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you think of beauty in a scientific evolutionary sense, its all about proving that you are the best mate for someone.
In that sense it is absolutely essential.
But yes, its completely stupid to waste your time on vain trivial matters. If you have a brain you are much more intresting and will probably have a more enjoyable life.

If you are good looking, you can get away with anything. Its pretty much proven you are seen as a 'nicer' person if you are more attractive, even though this is not necessarily true.
Frannnnn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i hate beautiful brainy people. ONE OR THE OTHER PLEASE.
Sprout_hair
Rep:
?
Please close this thread?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (546)
37.73%
No - but I will (113)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (100)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (688)
47.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise