Further Maths in one year - College being annoying Watch

wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Right, so, I'm planning on doing the following modules next year. I've done AS maths (C1, C2, S1).

Planning on doing: C3, C4, M1, M2, S2, D1, D2, FP1, FP2.

Want to do C3, C4, M1, FP1 in January (Possibly D1 too), and M2, S2, D1, D2, FP2 in June.

At least that'd seperate the work load, would it not?

College, however, has another story.

"We don't allow people to take exams earlier than expected because it shows universities that you cannot cope under pressure."

... what?
aaloo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would've thought it showed you were bright enough to do the exam after only 4 months of class rather than 9. Enter yourself privately if you can afford it?

How comes you aren't doing D1 and C4 the other way round? Surely that would be easier for you in terms of allowing yourself more time to progress and be familiar with each topic.
wanderlust.xx
Rep:
?
Why D1 and C4 the other way around? Is C4 really similar to fp2?

And yeah, thats what I thought. ._. Surely it shows I'm amazing enough to do exams so early I can doss about for the rest of the year?

I'm not sure if I'd be able to afford a private entry, and I think doing it all at once would kill me. o_o;
*Sparkle*
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ask them how they expect you to sit nine maths modules in June with the rest of your exams. It's ridiculous.

Defintely do D1 in January though, if you sit and work through the text book you could learn it all in a week, do one chapter a night and you're sorted.
wanderlust.xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by *Sparkle*)
Ask them how they expect you to sit nine maths modules in June with the rest of your exams. It's ridiculous.

Defintely do D1 in January though, if you sit and work through the text book you could learn it all in a week, do one chapter a night and you're sorted.
Cheers for that, I'll get that done before January.

Yeah, I sort of asked a teacher today, and she said that if I did, everyone'd ask for their exams to be early. o__O;

Why do I care, again?
*Sparkle*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by wanderlust.xx)
Cheers for that, I'll get that done before January.

Yeah, I sort of asked a teacher today, and she said that if I did, everyone'd ask for their exams to be early. o__O;

Why do I care, again?
Well everyone doing the further maths should be doing them in January too!

We did all our modules in January for modules we'd learn in autumn, it just took the pressure off in June.

Seriously, you can't do nine maths modules in summer, it's ridiculous. Your maths teacher should be pushing Jan exams on you.
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:confused:

I did all my exams in summer, and I did ridiculous numbers of exams. Just get on with it.
*Sparkle*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
:confused:

I did all my exams in summer, and I did ridiculous numbers of exams. Just get on with it.
You did nine maths modules along with two other subjects? :|
munkie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did them spread out, then re-sat C1 + C2 to maximise marks in June :s
And since when do you put individual exams on the UCAS form ('cept Oxbridge)
aaloo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by wanderlust.xx)
Why D1 and C4 the other way around? Is C4 really similar to fp2?

And yeah, thats what I thought. ._. Surely it shows I'm amazing enough to do exams so early I can doss about for the rest of the year?

I'm not sure if I'd be able to afford a private entry, and I think doing it all at once would kill me. o_o;
Mmmm, private entry for all of them would be ridiculously expensive. Have you spoken to the Head of your college? Or the Head of 6th Form? I'm surprised your school isn't more concerned about league tables. Surely you're more likely to get the As if it were split up.... *shakes head at your insane teachers*

No, I just thought that D1 should be done earlier. It's ridiculously easy (in a "you either get it or you don't" way). Laughable really. Probs best to move the D1 to Jan but keep the C4 where it is.

Some girls at my school did the entire AS Further maths, AS Maths and a A2 Maths module in one jan and got straight A... But we only do Maths exams early so its not like they had other commitments. And they were in second year of college (our school didn't want to teach maths so people self-taught themselves in summer to be able to take maths in 2nd year.)

edit: actually, they only did 7 exams. and you're only proposing doing 5 each time. i did 14 in june and got straight As. pay private entry to do 3 in jan. leave the rest for june, you should be fine if u work steadily.
kamie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The positive of doing the exams in summer, which my school made us do, is that it gives time for C3&4 to really "click" so you can get 95-100 easily, which takes the pressure off some of the other modules. You need to really get C4 before you can do FP2 though.
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No; I did six maths modules along with five other subjects. But, you know...
HCD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did. 9 Maths modules + all the A2 modules in Physics, English Literature (and General Studies :rolleyes:) It's doable.
Speleo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just man up and do them all at once. You'll barely have to revise C3/C4/M1 after doing the later modules so it really won't make a whole lot of difference.
munkie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes but a lot of them are in the same exam slot! So you're just sat there continuously...

I did P1 and P2 back to back, and another time french then english then M1
Speleo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
3 or 4 hours of exams in a row is really not a big deal.
wanderlust.xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by generalebriety)
No; I did six maths modules along with five other subjects. But, you know...
Yeah, but y'know, I'm not as clever as you, mister Cambridge success. =P

I think I'll have a word with them today. They haven't even officially entered me for further maths AS yet because apparently, you need an A* at GCSE (I screwed up in the coursework :P) or an A in the mocks (Couldn't be ****ed tbh).

So I'll have to prove myself with my AS grades, which, hopefully, were decent enough for me to get an A. However, I can't exactly start doing FM A2 in September, that's just... dumb.

If they don't allow me to do that, I'll have to go to the head of year and tell her that I'll probably get straight A's if I do the easier modules in January.
Simplicity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Want to do C3, C4, M1, FP1 in January (Possibly D1 too), and M2, S2, D1, D2, FP2 in June.
Okay, I see why your college does not want you to do this. Anyway

C3, FP1, M1, D1 January, and M2, S2, D2, FP2, C4 in june.

I suggest you do AQA and replace FP2 with FP4, as AQA is really easy.

At least that'd seperate the work load, would it not?
Not really.

Why do you want to do further maths? do you plan to study maths or physics at uni? if you don't then don't do it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (162)
38.94%
No - but I will (22)
5.29%
No - I don't want to (30)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (202)
48.56%

Watched Threads