switzerland Watch

jh_1988_england
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
hey all, has anyone been to switzerland?...who could recommend good places to go...or places to avoid:p: ...thanx for any help
Rags241
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeh I've been thinking of going here as well? Been thinking maybe zurich of lucerne, are these places any good?
jh_1988_england
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
so was i:p: ...aswell as geneva...but when i try and open up wikitravel and other pages on switzerland...it says this page cant be displayed lol
crazygirl4521
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
I was thinking of going there until i heard about there major xzenophobia and seeing as im coloured it may affect my overall trip.
EvilSheep
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Luzern and Zürich are both awesome cities Highly recommended!! Switzerland in itself is awesome, I want to live there!!!
Annie72
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I"ve been to Switzerland . I stayed in Interlaken and it was beautiful....rather expensive though and that was in 1994, so I presume it would be even more expensive now.
justascribble
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I went to Geneva with my family, it was pretty cool. On our stay we crossed the border into France and went up Mount Saleve (mountains<3). We also took a slow train to Montreux on the other side of lake Geneva and I have to say it was the most gorgeous town I had ever seen. It was absolutely stunning! Geneva is where the European UN Headquarters are so it's very international. I definitely recommend that you go there. Oh and by the way, we went in the summer when it was nice and sunny
afua12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've been to Zurich, but about 8 years ago, so that's not going to be any help! More recently I've been mostly to quite small places - Meiringen and Arosa. Both were really beautiful, especially Arosa.

But I would probably suggest a tour if you want to see Switzerland. Something like what ^justascribble did sounds really good. Maybe you could stay a couple of nights in a city, and then move to a village or two.
Knut_the_bear
Report 10 years ago
I went to school in Switzerland so I know the country quite well. Feel free to PM if you've got any questions.

Cities/Towns I'd recommend you to visit:
Geneva
Zurich
Basle
Lucerene
Berne
Zermatt (where the Matterhorn is)
Locarno or Lugano

Switzerland is a very expensive place. If you're planning on visiting a few places, make sure you get a rail pass because it saves you a lot of money. It's definitely possible to visit all major towns in a week because the country is fairly small.

(Original post by maze.e)
I was thinking of going there until i heard about there major xzenophobia and seeing as im coloured it may affect my overall trip.
I'm not sure if I'd agree with that. You'll certainly find racist people in Switzerland but I don't think the situation is worse than in the UK. I'd recommend you to avoid small villages because they tend to be very right-wing. I don't think it would be dangerous to visit them but people might not be very welcoming.
Imilan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've been to Berne, absolutely recommend it. Friendly people, beautiful place.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (179)
39.43%
No - but I will (25)
5.51%
No - I don't want to (32)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (218)
48.02%

Watched Threads