Azwahaider9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I originally wanted to do my epq on mental health but I feel as though it is too cliche. Any ideas? xxx
Lucario_Moon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Azwahaider9)
I originally wanted to do my epq on mental health but I feel as though it is too cliche. Any ideas? xxx
I wouldn't say any EPQ is too cliche as long as you have a specific question in mind to be honest, do you mind if I ask if you plan on applying to medicine itself? Or is it just a field that interests you?
Azwahaider9
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lucario_Moon)
I wouldn't say any EPQ is too cliche as long as you have a specific question in mind to be honest, do you mind if I ask if you plan on applying to medicine itself? Or is it just a field that interests you?
I want to apply for medicine. I just fell as though every one is doing mental health and I want to do something more original and different. I want it to stand out. xx
Lucario_Moon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Azwahaider9)
I want to apply for medicine. I just fell as though every one is doing mental health and I want to do something more original and different. I want it to stand out. xx
Ah ok that makes sense! Sorry just asked as it helps make my answer more specific

I get what you mean with wanting it to stand out, but I also think its important that you pick a topic that is very interesting to you: If mental health is something that you are passionate about then even if its not the most original I would recommend going ahead with it! As far as I know you don't get extra marks for originality and it makes it 100x easier when it comes to writing and researching. If the originality is still a problem you can still take a more unique stance on it with your title such as "How effective is the NHS' involvement in mental health" etc so its more from a medicine standpoint than psychology and is a more obscure part of a well-discussed topic.

Alternatively, if mental health is not your cup of tea I would recommend going for something around public health as its something that will help your application more. Personally, I have applied for medicine this year and am currently finishing up my essay on "Why does the MMR vaccine hestitancy continue post Andrew Wakefield" (not the exact title and its still in working but close enough), this talks about vaccine programs in the UK and the involvement of the NHS in encouraging an uptake in vaccines. Although this may seem quite a common topic as well, it still brings up something that you will see when you look at medical records as a doctor and is a good example of the wider reading that relates into understanding a Doctor's role: Which can often be helping people make informed decisions about their health. This can involve vaccines, maintaining a healthy weight, encouraging STI checkups etc. These are also very statistic heavy research topics so require less scientific knowledge, allowing you to critique the sources you look at more effectively.

I hope this helped and good luck with it!
Azwahaider9
Rep:
?
Thank you so much. good luck with ur EPQ and ur journey to medicine. xx
Sanaa01
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mine was based on ECT as a treatment for severe and unresponsive depression. I was happy with my grade also it was a very fun and interesting topic. So i’d definitely recommend looking into this topic.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You need to narrow it down from 'about mental health'.

What bit of mental health? You need to pick something very small/narrow to make it do-able in the time. Here are some 'Psychology' suggestions - you could easily tweak one of these to make it more 'medical' : https://libguides.tts.edu.sg/EPQ/Psychology.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (489)
33.36%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (610)
41.61%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (299)
20.4%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.64%

Watched Threads