Revising purely off of cgp revision guide Watch

SomtoE
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
What are the maximum grades i can get if i revise purely from the cgp revision guides?
Racsoix
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
What subjects?
SomtoE
Rep:
?
(Original post by Racsoix)
What subjects?
Biology , Chemistry and Physics all Edexcel Higher
SkyRunner61
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It's not that there's a maximum grade if you study solely from the revision guides, but for mathematical and scientific subjects especially I would advise you practice using past papers as well so that you can gain familiarity with doing questions yourself rather than just looking at worked examples. It's easy to look at something and think that you understand it - it's an entirely different kettle of fish to then apply that information to an unfamiliar context
Racsoix
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Definitely top grades. GCSE Science are basically all about memorisation and the CGP guides go into enough detail (despite what teachers will tell you) for near full marks. I advise doing some past paper questions too because the examiners will throw in similar types of questions each year, so knowing how to answer them in advance is a big help, especially as some require quite specific terminology which you may not otherwise think to put in. On the whole though CGP guides are fine for GCSE Science. I got 8s this way, so I obviously must have been doing something right!
stressystressy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I basically only revised from the CGP guides for Physics and Biology and got an 8 but in Chemistry I used the CGP guide as well as the examboard textbook and got a 9 soo... I would recommend using the CGP guide mainly but if you feel like something is vague in it maybe double check with the textbook! Good luck
stressystressy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
But make sure you consolidate your knowledge with past paper questions!
crusty kebab
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
9s lol, that's the main way I got 9s in science.
confuzzledteen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
For biology & physics, you can do really well by revising off the CGP alone. The CGP is really summarised & only has key points - and it is these key points and keywords which get you marks in the exam! GCSE science is mostly about memorisation & regurgitation of facts anyways. Chemistry, however, is more about understanding; just reading the CGP won't be enough. I recommend reading the textbook & watching videos, and then writing your own notes for chem to ensure that you understand the processes going on.
For me, I wrote detailed notes for biology and chemistry, and I managed to do decently (got 9s for both of them).
For physics, I didn't have time to write notes; I hadn't written any notes for the subject at all over the two year course & the exam was close to my music and english exams, which I cared a lot about. Therefore, I only had the CGP to get me through the exam and I was very, very worried. Turns out that it worked - I got a 9 too, and funny enough, I had the highest raw mark for physics out of chem & bio! Proves that the CGP is good enough; don't bother writing detailed notes like I did.. Waste of time that could've been better spent doing past paper questions imo.
SomtoE
Rep:
?
(Original post by SkyRunner61)
It's not that there's a maximum grade if you study solely from the revision guides, but for mathematical and scientific subjects especially I would advise you practice using past papers as well so that you can gain familiarity with doing questions yourself rather than just looking at worked examples. It's easy to look at something and think that you understand it - it's an entirely different kettle of fish to then apply that information to an unfamiliar context
How well would i do if i do practice papers and make revision notes from my cgp revision guide ?
chlo_bel
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I revised Biology mostly from revision guide and got an A
SomtoE
Rep:
?
(Original post by crusty kebab)
9s lol, that's the main way I got 9s in science.
what else did you do to achieve 9s
SkyRunner61
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by SomtoE)
How well would i do if i do practice papers and make revision notes from my cgp revision guide ?
I think if you did both and understood what you were doing, then you could definitely do very well
crusty kebab
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by SomtoE)
what else did you do to achieve 9s
I read the cap book, done all the questions on the 9-1 work book, then I bought the 8-9 workbook and done all the questions on that, then I completed the specimen papers, then I done all the sample papers and past papers. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a lot
Mona123456
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I would suggest not using revision guides alone — if you have comprehensive textbooks, they often go into a lot more detail, and definitely help to make the bridge between GCSE and A Level smaller if you intend to do Science A Levels.

I wouldn’t say there’s a ‘top grade’ you can get by using revision guides, but I would say that for e.g. an A* you’d need to know close to 100% of the revision guide, whereas 70-80% of a textbook for the same grade. It really depends how you learn best, how much time you have, how interested you are in Science and whether you intend to study them further. As others have suggested though, I’d recommend doing some past paper questions in addition to using a revision guide/textbook. Good luck with your exams!
SomtoE
Rep:
?
(Original post by chlo_bel)
I revised Biology mostly from revision guide and got an A
Is this with the 9-1 spec
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (294)
65.63%
No (154)
34.38%

Watched Threads