Washing make-up brushes Watch

Mikimoto
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I just purchased a Chanel one of ebay, so obviously I didn't receive any information as to how to wash it.

Any ideas? I've been told shampoo or warm soapy water?
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Indeed, shampoo. Baby shampoo preferably, although I've been known to use normal shampoo too.
Mikimoto
Rep:
?
And then, how to dry them?
Kitty Pimms
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mikimoto)
And then, how to dry them?
Gently squeeze excess water out of them with a towel and then stick them on the radiator on top of something else (a towel or similar - to make sure the wood isn't damaged by the heat), or just leave them to air dry if it's a warm day.
dancingqueen
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got a bottle of Mac brush cleaner (was about £8, so not cheap) which does the job really well but tbh I will be using baby shampoo when it runs out.
Careful that you separate the bristles and don't leave the brush to dry in a weird position otherwise it will be difficult to use next time!
M'Lady
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How often should make-up brushes be washed and which ones in particular? I've never actually washed my make up brushes
Rosaaa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by M'Lady)
How often should make-up brushes be washed and which ones in particular? I've never actually washed my make up brushes
I don't think there is a strict rule to this at all, obviously some make-up company's will have guidelines.

Generally I wash mine every week or so, depending on whether I've used different colours etc and don't want to mix them.
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My own personal makeup brushes get washed weekly ish.

I use baby shampoo and then a small blob of conditioner and rinse. Conditioning them helps to keep the brushes soft and supple.

Always air dry them - try not to leave them on radiators as they can get too hot and damage the paint/coating on the brush.

Just be aware OP, that you know what you're buying on Ebay, most makeup brushes on ebay are counterfeit, and therefore personally, I wouldn't go there.
Mikimoto
Rep:
?
Yeah, I had a fair idea it wasn't real. The main reason I bought it off ebay was because there was no Chanel counter near me.

Although, that said, it's a lovely brush, and it looks pretty real. Whether it is or not, I couldn't care less. It works and that's that.

Now I just need a decent foundation.
Ilora-Danon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you want recommendations about foundations, I recommend Prescriptives. I've already got one TSR'er onto their foundations! lol.
Kitty Pimms
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ilora-Danon)
If you want recommendations about foundations, I recommend Prescriptives. I've already got one TSR'er onto their foundations! lol.
Have you tried the Armani face fabric stuff, BTW? I bought the super pale one as a highlighter and I love it! I'd thoroughly recommend it.
PoisonDonna
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wash mine every week or two, generally when I'm having a tidy and I remember. I wash my blusher and bronzer brushes often, and eyeshadow brushes not so often because I virtually never use them anymore.
I use a little bit of shampoo and warm water. Let them dry naturally too because forcing thm dry tends to make them not so soft I find.
M'Lady
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rosaaa)
I don't think there is a strict rule to this at all, obviously some make-up company's will have guidelines.

Generally I wash mine every week or so, depending on whether I've used different colours etc and don't want to mix them.
I have the entire collection of body shop brushes but I don't use any different colours, always the same stuff every day...I'm a bit of a make-up novice
stargirl001
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wash mine around every 2 weeks but if I've used a brush for a particularly dark colour I'll wash it more often

I've always used a creamy cleanser or make up remover but after reading these posts I might try shampoo

Whatever you use, make sure you rinse the brushes thoroughly afterwards to avoid getting a sticky residue left on the brush as these can ruin the brushes

To dry them I just let them air hanging over the side of a table so nothing is touching the actual brush end (I'm a bit funny about stuff like that, paranoid that if theyre resting on or touching something they'll get all bent and ruined. Mental).
love2learn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I just purchased a Chanel one of ebay, so obviously I didn't receive any information as to how to wash it.

Any ideas? I've been told shampoo or warm soapy water?
I use face wash on mine with the reasoning that it gets rid of the make up and grease on my face, so must be able to from my make up brushes too. I think baby shampoo would be a little too mild, especially for foundation brushes. And warm soapy water probably works, but I don't like that because any residual soap could irritate my face.
PaperMoon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is it sad that I use shampoo and conditioner when washing my make up brushes?
Ilora-Danon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PaperMoon)
Is it sad that I use shampoo and conditioner when washing my make up brushes?
No, as I said above; I do, and I recommend it to everyone.
Mikimoto
Rep:
?
I usually wash mine every time I use it, that's not going to do damage it, is it?
Mikimoto
Rep:
?
Damn, I just checked and the nearest prescriptives counter is 3 hours away! UGH!!
Ilora-Danon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I usually wash mine every time I use it, that's not going to do damage it, is it?
No, it won't. When I'm working on a client, or on several clients in a day, I'll wash the brushes each time they're used. Won't harm them if they're cared for properly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads